Chapter 3: Family Vote

——————————☂️——————————

Hazel was now sitting in Griddy's Doughnut shop enjoying a donut that Agnes had given him.

"You really love donuts, don't you?" Agnes commented as she swerved the floor.

"Is there anything better in this world?" Hazel replied.

She chuckled. "I guess not. Although I guess I'm kind of biased, seeing as how I make them all day, every day."

"All day? Elaborate." Hazel requested.

Agnes thought for a moment. "Well, I get here before the sun comes up, measure out the dry ingredients, I mix in the slurry real slow, and load em all into the extruder."

"Extruder?"

"Yep. That's what makes them into the donut shapes. The real trick is I let em rise for about half an hour before I fry them up. Thats what makes them so light and fluffy." She told him.

"How come you're so light and fluffy?" Hazel asked, a hint of flirtation in his voice.

She shrugged. "I guess you are what you eat."

"Might I try a strawberry jelly?" Hazel requested.

Agnes nodded. "Sure." She grabbed one from the shelf and put it on a plate for him. "The secret is in the jelly."

Hazel took a bite and nodded in approval before setting it down and noticing her name tags. "Agnes. That's a beautiful name."

"Well, thanks. It means 'pure'." She told him.

They both smiled at each other when they heard a door open and Cha-Cha came out of the bathroom.

Hazel cleared his throat and stood up. "So, is there anything that you might be able to tell us about the night that this place got shot up?"

"Uh...well, I mean, I already told the police everything I know. Twice, actually." She said honestly.

"Do you remember the boy and the girl from that night?" Cha-Cha specified.

"I didn't really notice them to be honest. They say with their father right over there." She pointed to the stools they sat at.

Cha-Cha looked at Hazel. "That was most definitely not their father."

"We're just concerned for their...safety, is all. It's a dangerous world out there. Wouldn't want anything bad to happen to them." Hazel explained.

"Are you with the police?" Agnes wondered.

"We were hired by their family to get to the bottom of things." Cha-Cha lied.

"So if there's anything you can tell us, we'd really appreciate it. I'd really appreciate it." Hazel insisted.

"I'd really like to help, but I wouldn't know anything about that. Although, there was one thing. The boy had a tattoo on his wrist. I mean, who lets a kid get a tattoo?" She asked incredulously.

Cha-Cha stepped forward. "You mind drawing that tattoo?"

Agnes nodded and pulled out her paper pad and drew a circle with an umbrella inside it.