Chapter seven

The sun was beginning to set, casting a warm golden hue over the expensive pool area. As the evening wore on, the private campground was hosting a small gathering of high-end guests who had come to enjoy the luxury and serenity of the retreat. The atmosphere was vibrant with laughter and conversation, and I found myself mingling among the guests, trying to be gracious and engaging.

Olivia was in her element, chatting with her political contacts and making small talk. She looked stunning in a sleek navy-blue sundress that accentuated her features. Her blonde hair was styled effortlessly, catching the light with every movement. Despite her outward ease, I noticed her glances darting toward me whenever I interacted with someone new.

I was talking to a charming guest named Daniel, who was dressed in a crisp white linen shirt and dark trousers. He had a warm, engaging smile and an easygoing demeanor. “You have such a fascinating background, Eleonora,” he said, his eyes twinkling with interest. “Tell me, what’s it like working at the White House?”

I was mid-sentence when I felt a slight tug at my sleeve. I turned to see Olivia standing next to me, her expression a mixture of forced politeness and barely concealed irritation. “Eleonora, dear,” she said, her tone overly sweet, “I need to talk to you for a moment.”

Daniel glanced between us, his smile faltering slightly. “Oh, of course. I didn’t mean to interrupt.”

“No trouble at all,” Olivia said, her voice still dripping with charm. “Let’s go inside.”

I excused myself from Daniel with a polite nod and followed Olivia, her grip on my arm slightly firmer than usual. As we entered the cooler indoor area, the atmosphere shifted, becoming more intimate and quieter.

“What’s wrong?” I asked, trying to keep my tone neutral.

Olivia’s eyes flashed with frustration. “You’ve been mingling with everyone all evening. You’re practically the center of attention.”

I raised an eyebrow, taken aback. “I’m just being friendly. It’s a gathering, after all.”

“You’re not just being friendly,” Olivia said, her voice rising. “You’re attracting attention, and it’s not sitting well with me. You didn’t see how some of those people were looking at you.”

I sighed, trying to remain calm. “Olivia, I can’t control how people look at me. I’m here representing you and showing appreciation for the guests. I didn’t realize it was such a big deal.”

Her face softened slightly, but the tension remained. “It’s not just about tonight. I’m worried about the image. I don’t want people talking about us or making assumptions.”

I took a deep breath, feeling the weight of her jealousy. “I’m not trying to create any problems. I’m here to support you, and that’s what I’m doing.”

Olivia’s gaze softened as she looked at me, though there was still an edge of discomfort. “I know you are. It’s just... I don’t want anyone thinking there’s more to it. I don’t want people misinterpreting anything.”

I reached out and touched her arm gently. “Olivia, you know I love you. Let’s just focus on enjoying the evening. I’m here for you, not for anyone else.”

She nodded slowly, her expression a mix of relief and lingering anxiety. “Okay, let’s try to enjoy ourselves. But please, be mindful.”

As we returned to the gathering, I noticed Olivia’s demeanor shifting. She was more watchful, her eyes scanning the room for any sign of undue interest in me. Despite her efforts, her jealousy was palpable, and it cast a shadow over our interactions.