Chapter 5 Breaking news

The living room was thick with fear and confusion as we all sat quietly, trying to process what we had just seen on the news. No one spoke for a moment, the chaos on the screen slowly sinking in. I couldn't help but glance at the clock, wondering how quickly everything was falling apart.

Suddenly, the screen cut to an emergency alert: *BREAKING NEWS* flashed in bold red across the bottom. The footage switched to a frantic news anchor reporting from a distant location.

"We are receiving reports that the outbreak originated in the South Pacific region. Eyewitness accounts describe erratic and violent behaviour, followed by severe aggression and biting," the anchor explained, her voice barely masking the panic. "Officials are advising people to avoid large gatherings and to seek shelter immediately. Once bitten, individuals may exhibit similar aggressive behaviour within hours. There is currently no known cure or treatment."

"South Pacific?" Jake said, frowning at the TV. "How did it spread so fast?"

My mom, standing by the window, shook her head. "This... this has to be blown out of proportion. It can't be happening here the same way. We're not in any immediate danger." Her voice sounded uncertain, but I could tell she was trying to comfort us.

My dad nodded in agreement, his arms crossed. "We just need to be smart. Stay inside and wait for this to pass. The government will handle it."

But Reya's face turned pale. "I need to call my parents."

She reached for her phone, her hands trembling as she dialled. We all waited in silence, the hum of the TV filling the room as reports of chaos continued. Finally, Reya's mom answered, but the sound on the other end wasn't reassuring—it was chaos. Screaming. Glass shattering.

"Mom?!" Reya shouted into the phone, panic rising in her voice. "Mom! What's happening?"

In the background, we heard frantic voices, then her father's voice, shaky and barely understandable over the commotion. "Reya... we—" He was cut off by a loud crash. Reya screamed into the phone as the line went silent, followed by nothing but a dead dial tone.

The room fell completely quiet. Reya's eyes were wide, her face frozen in shock as she stared at the phone. Then, without thinking, she bolted for the door.

"Reya, no!" I yelled, trying to grab her, but she slipped out of my reach.

She yanked open the door, desperation written across her face. "I have to get to them!" she screamed, but as soon as the door swung open, we all froze.

Standing in the middle of the driveway was a man—dressed in torn clothes, his skin pale and eyes unfocused. He swayed back and forth as if he didn't know where he was, but the second he saw movement at the door, he snapped into focus. His eyes locked onto Reya, then my mom who had run out after her, trying to pull her back inside.

"Reya, get back!" Mom shouted, pushing her toward the door.

The man moved fast, faster than any of us expected. One moment he was standing still, the next he lunged forward, targeting my mom. His mouth opened, a guttural growl escaping as he launched himself at her, teeth bared.

"Mom!" I screamed.

It happened so fast. My mom stumbled back, trying to defend herself, but the man was too strong. His teeth sank into her arm, and she screamed in pain, falling to the ground. Blood poured from the wound as the man bit down harder, not letting go.

Reya froze in horror, standing just a few feet away, while the rest of us jumped into action. Quin and Jake were the first to react. Quin grabbed a heavy lamp from the side table and ran outside, slamming it into the back of the attacker's head. Jake followed, pulling my mom away as the man finally let go.