Son of The Wanderer (Not even close to completion)

I'm not really his son, at least not biologically.  I do although, owe my life to him, because he saved mine. But you dont care about my thoughts, do you? You want to hear a story, a wonderful and dangerous adventure through the scum-filled wastes of post-apocalyptic America. I suppose today's your lucky day, then.

It seemed like nothing at the time. I was so young, i didn't even think twice about this decision that would change my life. Little six year old me, an orphaned scavenger, sitting on the small area of hardened mud beside the disgusting, radioactive 'water' that I was forced to drink every now and then.  About thirty minutes prior to this life changing moment, I had heard lots of gunshots, even a couple of plasma rounds had went off. I didn't think much of it though, as those sounds seemed to accompany me wherever I went. From the distance, I heard 

"What a fuckin' mess, poor Fawkes." Then shortly after, "Hey, kid!" 

Upon hearing this, I hastily hid in a small space between two rocks. This had no effect, the man had seen me clear as day. I thought for sure this was when I would either be shot or captured to be turned into some hulking super mutant. 

The man did neither of those things. Instead, he crouched down and looked right at me.

"What's your name, buddy?" He asked.

"Nak." I replied

"Who the hell names a kid Nak?" He half said to himself, half said to me.

"I ain't got any parents, I named myself" I rapidly replied, becoming more and more welcoming to him.

"So why the hell'd you name yourself Nak, kid?"

"Nak, like Grognak the Barbarian" 

I realized that at that moment he started to open up to me. "No shit, I loved those things, got one when I turned ten"

Shortly afterwards he held out his hand in a welcoming gesture. Without hesitation I grasped it and emerged from my hiding place. 

 He then held out his hand a second time