𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏

Age– 20 & 22

ISHANVI

I should've known that today was going to be a disaster when I dropped my favourite perfume bottle and didn't even get the chance to mourn over it.

The broken pieces are still scattered on the floor and the room gets filled with its fragrance, along with the sound of my friend's sniffs who returned this morning from her boyfriend's place.

“It's okay.” I pat her shoulder, passing her yet another tissue as she cries over the issue she had with her boyfriend.

Gosh, I don't know how to console crying people.

Even if it is my best friend.

“It was not my fault.” She sniffles and snorts in the tissue then throws it away., adding it to the pile beside the bed.

Gross.

I've to remind myself that she is upset and I cannot start my cleanliness lecture right now.

“I know it wasn’t,” I reply, trying to keep my tone gentle but it’s hard when frustration is bubbling under my skin. “He’s a dickhead.”

She flinches at my words as though I’ve just insulted her personal hero and whispers half-heartedly. “Hey, don’t say that. He’s not that bad.”

Not bad? Because he is the worst. Not only is he an asshole with a god complex, he doesn't know the basic thing called respect for their partner.

“Really? Stop making excuses for him, Kiara.” I snapped at her, making her flinch and then take a deep breath so I don't lose my cool when she is clearly upset. “Look, he isn't good for you. It's the sixth time these two months I've seen you cry over that dickhead.”

“No, it's not like that. He is just stressed over something and you know I can be overdramatic at times. Now that I think about it, maybe, it was my fault.” She gives me a smile as I look at the smudged mascara and dried tears on her face.

I narrow my eyes at her but she avoids my gaze, fidgeting with the edge of her shirt. Kiara can be overdramatic, sure, but the sunshine she radiates usually dims when her boyfriend is involved.

I hate seeing her like this, dimmed, like she’s holding herself back just to accommodate his ego.

My voice softens, “That doesn't mean he'll belittle you, Ki. That too for something which wasn't your fault. Even if it was, he could've easily talked about it instead of snapping at you in front of his friends. Just break u—”

“Ishanvi,” She interrupts, standing up and giving me that defensive look every time I try to talk her out of breaking up with him. “Please, I love him. He does too. It’s just…he’ll come around.”

I bite my tongue, holding back the lecture threatening to spill out.

“You can do so much better, Kiara,” I say softly as I rise and start picking up broken glass shards of the perfume bottle. My chest tightens at the sight of my favourite scent littered on the ground. I need to order another one asap.