Whispers

Victoria sat on the edge of her bed, her mind swirling with the events of the evening. The confrontation at dinner had left her feeling raw and exposed. She was lost in thought when the door creaked open, and Thomas stepped into the room.

"There's a ball tomorrow," he said, his voice devoid of the warmth it once held. "We are to attend."

Victoria looked up, her heart aching at the coldness in his tone. As Thomas turned to leave, she found her voice, though it trembled with uncertainty. "Thomas, wait," she called softly.

He paused, his back still turned to her. "I'm sorry about how I acted at dinner," she continued, her eyes filling with tears. "My feelings were stupid."

Silence filled the room, thick and suffocating. Thomas stood there, unmoving, before finally muttering, "Goodnight, Victoria," and slamming the chamber door shut behind him.

The sound echoed through the hallways, and Victoria could hear the servants whispering amongst themselves. "Thomas has grown bored of her," one said. "He'll probably rid of her soon," another added.

Worry gnawed at Victoria's heart, but she knew there was nothing she could do. She climbed into bed, her mind restless with fear and uncertainty. Despite the turmoil, exhaustion eventually claimed her, and she drifted into a troubled sleep.