Whispers of the Heart?

Victoria stood on the balcony, the cool night air doing little to soothe the turmoil inside her. Thomas Blackwood's harsh words echoed in her mind, each one a dagger to her heart. She clutched the railing, tears streaming down her face, her chest heaving with silent sobs. The moonlight cast a soft glow on her, illuminating her sorrow.

Suddenly, she heard footsteps behind her. Turning quickly, she saw William Brown approaching, concern etched on his face. "Victoria, what's wrong?" he asked gently, his voice filled with genuine worry.

Victoria hastily wiped her tears, forcing a smile. "Oh, it's nothing, William. Just a bug got stuck in my eye," she lied, hoping he wouldn't press further.

William frowned but didn't question her further. Instead, he stepped closer and said, "Let me help." He leaned in, gently blowing on her eyes. The unexpected gesture made Victoria laugh, a small, genuine laugh that momentarily lifted her spirits.

"Thank you, William," she said, her voice steadier now. She took a deep breath, determined to hide her heartbreak and pretend nothing had happened with Thomas. "Shall we go back to the ball?"

William offered her his arm, and she took it gratefully. Together, they walked back into the grand ballroom, the music and laughter enveloping them. Victoria kept her head high, her smile in place, but inside, she vowed to never let Thomas Blackwood's words break her again.