01

Claudia

I can't believe I'm moving to another country, leaving the United States for England. It's a fresh start for me, and not just for me, but for my sisters too. After the tragic incident where my biological parents and my older sister lost their lives, everything changed for me. I'm overwhelmed by a wave of sadness mixed with uncertain hope for this new chapter. I was placed in an orphanage where no one stays for more than a week, meant for the wealthiest in the United States. In this austere place, only children deemed exceptional have a chance of getting out before time runs out and they're sent to less promising destinations. Apparently, they only accept very beautiful children. I'm not saying this to brag, but I do think I'm amazing, sometimes feeling like a raw diamond, ready to shine despite the circumstances. Yes, I know, I have a huge ego.

Back to reality. After that, I was adopted by the Goldman family. I owe them infinite gratitude; their love and welcome brought light into the darkness of my past. I love them with all my heart. They never made any difference between me and their daughters, and they filled me with healthy love. This feeling of belonging is an invaluable blessing I wish everyone could experience. My sisters, triplets, are wonderful. They bring joy and warmth that soothe the wounds of the past. I never wanted to travel because I didn't want to lose their presence. In the U.S., I always felt like they were there, happy when I was okay. Traveling means I won't feel their presence beside me anymore. This transition is an emotional trial, a physical and emotional separation I dread.

"Claude, we've landed. Wake up, we need to get off the plane," one of my sisters says.
"Oh, oops, damn, I didn't notice the time, sorry girls," I reply, stretching.

After going through customs and collecting our luggage, we finally step outside. The fresh London air fills my lungs, plunging me into a new and exciting atmosphere. The family driver is waiting for us outside. For my sisters, London is like home. They move around with an ease and familiarity that contrasts with my palpable apprehension. They come here all the time for weekends or parties, but I had never set foot in London. The gap between their comfort and my anxiety is obvious. I know absolutely nothing about London except what I had seen on social media. Despite that, I take the time to admire the view from the van. Every street and building are disconnected images from my past life, and I let the beauty of the city wrap around me. It's magnificent.

Once we arrive at our building, we get out. It's clearly a rich people's building. The security is impressive, almost overwhelming, with a code that changes every two hours, like an invisible barrier between me and this new life. Why so much security? We decide to go up to our new apartment, already a Goldman property. The elevator ride feels like an initiation into a world that, while familiar to my sisters, is completely foreign to me. I had never seen it in person, only in videos or during calls with my sisters. Now I understand why they love London so much. The apartment offers a breathtaking view of the city and its lights. This view is a promise of a new, illuminated horizon that feels both welcoming and intimidating.

"I still can't believe we're going to live here all together, especially with Claude," Eloise says.
"For that, we should thank Claude. It's the first time their precious daughter has asked them for something. Do you really think they'd say no to her?" Isabelle responds.
"I totally agree with you, Bella. Thanks, Claude, you're really the best," Savannah adds.

"Oh, no girls, I don't think it was me who convinced them. They just saw we all wanted to go together," I reply.
"Oh no, definitely not. We begged them three times before you, and they said no every time," Savannah says.
"By the way, I'd love to keep talking, but am I the only one starving? I'm really hungry, I slept through the whole flight and didn't eat anything," I say.
"Yeah, me too. Plus, we need to eat before the party. Order us something from Five Guys," Eloise says.
"Sav, you order, you're the best at it. You always get us the best stuff," Bella adds.

After Savannah orders us food on Uber Eats, I decide to nap for an hour or two because I'm exhausted, and it's only 7 PM. I surrender to a restorative sleep, hoping to escape the anxiety and fatigue weighing me down. After an hour, I hear Sav's phone ring. I decide to answer; it's the delivery guy. Apparently, security didn't let him in, so I have to go down. Just the thought of facing the descent in my unicorn pajamas feels like yet another trial in this already packed day.

"Girls, I'm going out. The delivery guy is waiting for me downstairs with the order. I'll be right back, okay?" I tell my sisters.

Once outside, I press the elevator button, but it takes too long. Every second feels like an eternity as the stress builds. I press the button several times, but nothing. It seems like they're broken or someone's holding them on purpose. I'm about to take the emergency stairs when I spot an elevator at the end of the hall, lit up and coming down. Without hesitation, I press for it to stop on my floor. When the elevator stops, the doors open to reveal a guy glaring at me from head to toe with a disgusted look, as if someone stole his private elevator. His arrogant and condescending stare irritates me deeply, adding a cruel touch to an already exhausting night. Damn, how I hate people who think they're superior just because they have money. I decide to step in and avoid his gaze to avoid any conflict with my new neighbors, but he keeps staring at me. So, when the elevator stops at the first floor, I get out, but before leaving, I say:

"Stop looking at people like that, you creep. We don't work for you, so show some respect to your neighbors, jerk."

The impact of my words seems to shatter the heavy, arrogant silence he exudes. I don't even give him time to respond and leave the elevator, leaving him speechless. He probably heard that for the first time, judging by his face. I grab the delivery from the driver and return to the building. Before heading back up, I ask the reception:

"Excuse me, but I've been waiting for the elevators to go to the 12th floor, and they're not moving," I ask.
"Oh, sorry about that, it was just some kids messing around, holding them on their floor to annoy others, but it's fixed now. It won't happen again, and I apologize," he replies.

"Okay, thanks," I respond.

I call the elevator, and this time it comes down. I manage to get back up to the apartment. Returning to the apartment is a relief, a temporary escape from the day's stress. Once I'm back, Eloise says:

"You took forever. We were worried about you, is everything okay?"
"Oh no, it was just the elevators stuck because of some stupid kids. And also, I ran into a pompous jerk in the elevator," I reply.
"And he didn't say anything to you or do anything, right?" Savannah asks, concerned.

"No, don't worry. He just looked me up and down. People, you know," I say, trying to hide my frustration.

"Alright. Well, girls, after we eat, we should start getting ready for the party, okay?" Bella says with excitement.

"Tonight? Can't we push it to tomorrow?" I ask, the fatigue clear in my voice.

"Seriously, Claude, you can't keep doing this. Plus, you promised you'd come. Don't worry, it'll be amazing, and we'll all be with you. We'll introduce you to all our friends. Please, say yes," Eloise insists with a disarming sincerity.

"Yeah, and tonight is a special night. The crown prince will be there, it's going to be incredible," Bella adds with contagious enthusiasm.

"Yeah, but I can't help but feel scared. I've never been to a party like this, let alone with people from this social class," I say, doubt weighing on my voice.

"Don't worry, they're not all like that. There's a great mix of people, and we'll be with you all night. We won't leave you alone, I promise," Savannah reassures me, her voice filled with comfort.

"Okay, but please don't leave me alone," I conclude, clearly expressing my need for support.

"Of course, we promise. Now, let's get ready. Eloise will do your makeup, I'll do your hair, and  will pick your outfit," Bella suggests with friendly determination.

"Alright, if you insist," I say, giving in to the comforting warmth of their friendship.

Hey! I hope you enjoyed this first chapter. Feel free to vote and share your thoughts in the comments. Thank you so much ❤️