Chapter 48: Playing both sides

Fatima woke up, letting out a soft yawn as she adjusted her eyes to the bright lights in the hospital room. She blinked a few times, her mind still a little groggy from the deep sleep she'd fallen into.

"Good morning," Zac's familiar voice greeted her, and she turned her head to see him sitting on the sofa in the corner, a MacBook balanced on his lap.

"Good morning," she replied, her voice a bit raspy as she stretched. "How long have I been asleep?"

Zac chuckled, closing his MacBook and setting it aside. "The whole night."

Her eyes widened slightly. "Wow... what's the time?"

"9 a.m.," he said, pushing up from the sofa and walking over to her.

Fatima tilted her head, watching him approach. "Were you here all night?" she asked, a soft smile forming on her lips.

"Yes." He shrugged as if it were the most natural thing in the world. "I wasn't gonna leave you alone."

Her smile deepened, warmth spreading through her chest. "Thank you, Zac."

He smiled back, glancing over to a small overnight bag on a chair. "Lana dropped off an overnight bag for you."

Fatima's eyes followed his gaze, and she grinned. "She's the best."

"How are you feeling?" Zac asked, his voice laced with concern as he closed the distance between them. He sat down beside her on the bed, his hand gently resting on her arm.

"I feel okay," Fatima said, placing her hand over her abdomen instinctively. "I'm hungry, though."

Zac raised his eyebrows in surprise. "That's a first," he teased, his expression softening with affection.

"I actually have an appetite this morning," she replied with a small laugh, rubbing her stomach.

He leaned down and pressed a soft kiss to her lips. "I'll call the nurse," he said, pulling back and looking into her eyes.

"Okay," she nodded, smiling at him as he stood up. Watching him walk towards the door, Fatima felt a wave of gratitude wash over her. He had stayed by her side through everything, even when things got tough. She couldn't ask for anything more.

Fatima got up slowly from the bed, grabbing the overnight bag Lana had dropped off. She made her way into the adjoining bathroom, appreciating the moment of peace. Once inside, she released her bladder, brushed her teeth, and took a refreshing shower. Afterward, she combed her hair into a neat, low bun, leaving two loose strands to frame her face. Feeling a bit more like herself, she exited the bathroom.

As she walked out, she noticed her breakfast was already on the tray beside her bed, but Zac was nowhere in sight. She raised an eyebrow but climbed back onto the bed. After whispering a small prayer of gratitude, she began eating her breakfast.

Moments later, Zac walked back into the room, a coffee cup in hand. "Oh look, your food came," he said with a smile.

Fatima paused, fork in midair. "Where were you?"

"You were in the shower, so I went to get a coffee," Zac explained, lifting the cup in his hand as proof.

Fatima nodded, taking a sip of her orange juice. "Okay."

Zac sat down on the sofa again, his expression shifting to something more thoughtful. "Listen, I did some research, and there are a lot of Khalids in the world."

Fatima nodded again, a slight frown forming on her brow. "Okay."

Zac hesitated for a moment before asking, "What happened to you and Khalid's dad, if you don't mind me asking?"