Heartbreak

At the beginning of July, Hanni's entrance exam results for senior high school are released. She has smoothly been accepted into the best senior high school. Before the semester starts, Minji gives her a new schoolbag as a reward for getting into the top school.

On her first day of senior high, Hanni notices that Anton also got into the same school and is in the same class. It's been a long time since they talked, and she remembers his last confession, feeling uneasy about initiating a conversation.

During the winter break of Grade 10, Anton seizes the opportunity to do homework together and asks Hanni out. This time, he is much bolder.

"Hanni, I like you. It's fine if you want to be my girlfriend now. If not, I'll ask again in three years."

Hanni is caught off guard. Her first thought is to unexpectedly recall the time when she was thirteen, when Anton first confessed to her and Minji appeared.

"Thank you for liking me," Hanni says earnestly, looking into Anton's eyes. "But I have someone I like, so I can't accept your confession."

There is a brief silence.

"You're a great guy. Thank you," Hanni adds.

Anton scratches his head and sighs. "I figured I'd be rejected again."

Hanni feels awkward.

"I wasn't planning to keep liking you," Anton says, "But damn, I couldn't find anyone prettier than you. What should I do?"

After a moment of thought, Anton asks, "Can I at least know who you like?"

Hanni shakes her head quietly.

Anton presses. "Is that person better looking than me?"

Hanni waves her hand, dismissing the question. "Don't ask any more."

Hanni believes things will continue as they should. She hopes that by working hard, she'll get into Pohang University. In three years, she plans to move to Minji's city. But life doesn't always go the way we expect or want.

One day, as Hanni is on her way to the bathroom, she passes by Yunjin's room and overhears her sister say, "Wow, Minji has a girlfriend?"

Hanni freezes. She hasn't heard Yunjin mention Minji in a long time. Her mind goes blank, and she stands there for a moment, stunned. Instead of returning to her bedroom, she heads to the living room, pretending to watch television.

When Yunjin finally emerges from her bedroom, Hanni tries to act casual. "Unnie, is Minji unnie dating someone?"

"Huh?" Yunjin grabs an apple from the fridge. "Seems like it."

Once Yunjin returns to her bedroom, Hanni switches off the television and goes back to her bedroom. She glances at the picture of Pohang University on her wall, rubs her eyes, and tries to forget what she overheard. She gets up from her bed and attempts to study.

At the end of April, Hanni does something unexpected for her sixteen years of life. That day, she rushes home after school, breaks open the piggy bank she had saved for Minji, takes out all the money, and sneaks into her parents room to grab her ID card. She buys a ticket to Pohang for the next day.

The following morning, Hanni grabs her backpack, says goodbye to her parents as usual, and leaves. Instead of boarding her usual bus, she goes to a nearby restaurant to change her clothes and then takes a taxi to the airport.

One hour later, Hanni lands at Pohang Airport. She hadn't checked the weather beforehand, and it's much colder in Pohang than in Seoul. Shivering in just a sweatshirt, she turns on her phone to see over ten missed calls from her family.