Chapter One

"The boy has reached the age of moral accountability, so we found him in time."

Lord Fulcier sat at the altar in his dark lair, his throne made of bones, his face shrouded by shadows. Large stone pillars stood on either side of him, disappearing into a ceiling of darkness. The faint glow from red torches on the wall lit one side of the dim and gloomy chamber.

The other side was alive with a roaring fire burning behind an arched chamber built of glassy emerald stones. Flames burst with green, red, and yellow, reaching high into the air, releasing small embers towards the unseen ceiling. The flames flickered off the stones and shot small dancing reflections across the dark walls.

Fulcier's three subordinates stood silent, their heads bowed, awaiting his instructions. A tendril of warmth slithered from the fireplace and wafted through the room, teasing their flesh with a touch, then pulling away to leave them shivering before their master.

"The boy has been located," Fulcier's deep, gravelly voice echoed through the chamber.

His words hung heavy in the air. Abaddon and Lily raised their heads and exchanged a look of exhilaration, while Amii kept his eyes on the floor.

"How did you find him, my Lord?" Abaddon asked.

Fulcier let out a wicked laugh. "Charlotte thought she was clever to hide the boy among the chaos of humankind, but she did not account for my many disciples, and spies, scattered amongst the earth. The boy has reached the age of moral accountability, so I found him in time. The child has the power to judge us, to send us to perdition for all of eternity, or we can corrupt him, and he may judge us worthy to rule this one world, the human world and the heavens unobstructed."

"What took so long to find the boy?" Amii's quivering voice sliced at Fulcier's victory.

Fulcier snapped to his feet, his throne rattled at his sudden movement. His thundering voice filled the chamber. "How dare you question me! Shall I remind you of my power, boy?"

"My Lord, I believe Amii is asking from a strategic perspective." Lily came to Fulcier's rescue, aware his powers were waning. "How do we ensure we don't lose sight of the child again?"

Fulcier glared at Amii as he sat back down. The room, silent again as he considered Lily's question. "I believe the boy's family shelters him. Virtuous souls surround him, but I had a vision. For a moment, our minds were linked. I saw him scared and alone. Our eyes met and at that moment I knew, I knew who he was. Before I could capture his soul, he broke our link. I watched him vanish into the dark, but I caught a glimpse of his whereabouts. Now, I believe things have shifted in our favor. I can no longer see the boy, but I recognize his location. From years past. You must be careful, we must entice the boy to come with us. We can't snatch the boy and run into the darkness like scared creatures of the night, for there are those that may still linger from my past."

"Do you believe he can be corrupted? Abaddon asked.

"Yes. He is vulnerable, so we must gain his trust. With his power, I can rule over both worlds and the heavens. I could create an army strong enough to crush Michael, and take what is owed to me."

Fulcier turned his attention to Abaddon, "I am sending the three of you to befriend the boy. While my army marches to the portal east of Mare Mortuum. There lies Mors Silva, The Death Forest, on the eastern shore. Those trees reveal their secrets every hundred and fifty years. At one time that is how we traveled to and from their world. Then we discovered the source of their power, harnessing it for our needs. When the army arrives at the gateway to their world, it will open. You won't have much time before it closes. Lily and Amii will pose as child twins in the mortal world and you, their father. It is imperative that you gain his trust so he will accompany you through the gateway when it opens."

"Yes, my Lord, but why not bring the boy through the fire?" Abaddon asked.

"My power is waning. It is your duty to deliver the boy to this world when my army reaches the gateway. I have eyes everywhere and will be watching. If you jeopardize the plan, there will be consequences."

Lily spoke. "Lord Fulcier, if you don't want the plan to be jeopardized, maybe we shouldn't take Amii." Looking down upon Amii, her turquoise eyes shimmered in the firelight.

Amii, donned in a pair of tattered, dirty shorts, and holding a sack, shifted his eyes towards the tall, slender woman. She wore a headdress resembling a crown of royalty. A long white gown covered her feet, and a golden sash around her waist. Her blonde hair flowed well past her shoulders.

Fulcier's eyes glowed from yellow to red. "Don't question me, Lily! Amii has much to prove. Being so close to God softened him. This expedition is what he needs." Fulcier flashed Amii a look of disgust, before speaking at Amii. "Boy, if you fail me, Abaddon will toss you in the abyss for a hundred centuries. Do you understand?" Fulcier said.

"Yes, my Lord." Amii spoke just above a whisper.

Fulcier turned his attention back to Abaddon. "Tread carefully to avert any misfortune along the way. Inform the army of my commands. You will need currency, so take this ingot." He said, tossing the block of gold at Amii's feet.

"I will do as you say, My Lord." Abaddon bowed, then turned his attention to Amii.

"Boy, gather the ingot for our journey." Abaddon instructed.

Amii strained to pick up the ingot and placed it in a brown burlap sack.

"And what if the boy learns of our plan?" Abaddon asked.

"We know of him, but he doesn't know who we are, nor does he know his true purpose yet. If you do your duty, it will be too late by the time he figures it out. Nothing must be taken for granted. It is time for you to leave."

The fire roared towards the ceiling, "Make your way through the fire. It will transport you to 1983, and you will live among mortals."

"Has a home been prepared for us?" Abaddon asked.

"Ah, yes. You'll be staying in one of my oldest plantations. My associate, William Reynolds, constructed it in 1833. He was the archetype by which I gave him and his descendants control of the dark ones in that region. I have a binding contract with his family that goes back over a hundred years. You will enter their world through the fire and exit through the forge. I only have enough power to send the three of you through. My remaining power will be necessary to communicate between the two worlds. You will meet my army when they arrive at the earth portal. Bring the boy home with you, and my power may be restored."

"You must ensure your guise is appropriate. Your clothes, language, hair, acquaintances, and attitude must not come into question. Say no more than what is needed and do not call unnecessary attention to yourselves. You must assimilate into their world, but don't forget where you come from. Angels and demons alike have lost their way in the mortal world and have forgotten their true selves."

"Understood, my Lord." Abaddon, Lily, and Amii said in unison.

"Abaddon, I've given you the Impious Spirit. A powerful weapon, be wise when using it." Fulcier pointed to the fire. "Go in my name. One last thing, his name is David."

The three nodded in unison, turned and walked into the fire. The flames reflected off the stones, lighting the entire chamber in a green glow. In a flash, they were gone, and the flames receded. Fulcier slumped in his chair, drained, his thoughts festered.