After Time

Hanni gradually reduces her contact with Minji. Despite this, Minji continues to send her gifts and inquire about the results of every exam. Hanni replies but avoids answering calls. On special occasions, like festival days or Minji's birthday, she takes the initiative to send a message. After all, Minji cares for her deeply, like a little sister.

In grade 11, Hanni chooses to join the science department and enrolls in the school board. Her hard work pays off, earning her an advanced position. As she grows, her features begin to change, her chin becomes more defined, her bright, big eyes stand out, her skin turns a milky white, and her lips become rosy. When she smiles, her dimples appear, making her both cute and beautiful, with a slender figure to match.

Hanni is popular at her school. Because of her beauty, many consider her the muse of the school. Her teacher frequently praises her, leading many to refer to her as the goddess of the school.

Hanni often notices unfamiliar students sending her bottles of milk or snacks. Her drawer is filled with love letters, and male students sometimes stop her to confess their feelings. She always politely refuses and returns their gifts.

During Hanni's Grade 12 year, someone from the sports team begins to pursue her. After practice, the male student brings her a variety of snacks and even picks her up after evening classes.

Although Hanni initially tries to ignore him, after two weeks, the male student confesses his feelings to Hanni. His voice sounds like Minji's, but his tone is nervous.

Hanni has never heard Minji use that tone. At that moment, she realizes that, based on Minji's teachings, she shouldn't do anything hurtful. She firmly rejects the male student, feeling that she is not good at falling in love. When she likes someone, it's hard for her to like another person. She shouldn't be with someone just because he resembles the person she truly likes.

Thinking about Minji, Hanni doesn't feel too sad. From her few memories of Minji, only their last meeting was gloomy.

In June, Hanni's college entrance examination results are released. She achieves steady and excellent marks, allowing her to enter any university she desires. Her family hopes she will register at Korea University, as they don't want her to go far away.

Hanni thinks for a long time. In the end, she registers at Pohang University. Her thinking has changed. The only reason is that she wants to enroll in the mass-media art department, which is ranked higher at Pohang University. When she registers, she doesn't bring too many suitcases, she just brings her backpack and a suitcase.

At first, Yunjin wants to accompany her sister, but Hanni feels it is unnecessary. She assures Yunjin that she can manage on her own, and eventually, her sister lets her go by herself. Yunjin suggests that Minji pick her up, but Hanni declines, saying it has been a long time since their last meeting, and she doesn't want to trouble Minji.

Hanni gets off the plane and goes out of the airport. She takes the bus specifically for new students coming to Pohang University. Under the guidance of seniors, she finishes all the administration by herself. She registers, gets a key to the dorm, and buys her necessities. She greets her roommates and starts to get to know them. She joins the orientation and then begins her classes. She also participates in various organizational activities. She is living her dream.

In mid-October, Hanni's roommate has a birthday. She and a group of people take the metro to a seafood restaurant for a meal. Since it's still early, they decide to go to a nearby karaoke place to sing. The next day is Saturday, so there is no curfew.

Compared with singing, they drink more. Hanni stays away from alcohol, but she still ends up with several glasses poured for her. The small room is crowded. She flushes easily from drinking and quickly feels hot and overwhelmed. The noise becomes too much for her. She makes an excuse to go to the restroom and runs outside to breathe freely. Besides the front door, the karaoke place also has a small exit. She goes out through the small door into a passageway that connects to the nearby supermarket.