Chapter 10: Shadows We Cast

The night of the mission arrived faster than Sienna had expected. She stood at the edge of a rooftop, her eyes scanning the sleek glass building across from her. The target's residence was perched on the fifteenth floor, all security measures accounted for. Wolfe's plans had been thorough as always, and her entry points were already calculated down to the millimeter.

But her thoughts weren't on the mission, not entirely. Despite her best efforts to suppress it, the Phantom lingered in her mind. The way he had saved her, defying logic and strategy, haunted her. She was used to people using her, to being a tool for others—Wolfe made sure of that. But he had acted differently. And for the first time in years, she felt like more than just an asset.

The wind whipped at her as she secured her gear, her hand brushing the side of her thigh where the bandage was still wrapped. The injury from the last mission had healed enough for her to be operational, but the pain was still a dull reminder of how close she had come to failure. She wouldn't let that happen again.

As she crouched at the rooftop's edge, her heart steadied. She was in control. Always in control. She jumped, sailing through the air, her body moving with practiced precision as she landed softly on the balcony of the fifteenth floor. A click and the security door unlocked with ease, thanks to the device Lena had slipped into her hands before she left. A smirk tugged at the corner of her mouth—Lena was good at what she did.

The inside of the apartment was silent, dark, and empty. Just as expected. Her target, a corrupt corporate executive who dabbled in dangerous, underground dealings, wouldn't be home for hours. She moved swiftly, her focus sharp as she made her way toward the secure vault hidden behind a false wall in the master bedroom.

But something felt off. An uneasy prickle on the back of her neck made her slow her pace, her instincts whispering of a trap. She paused, listening. No sound. No movement.

Yet, there was something—an energy in the room, as though someone was watching. She wasn't alone.

"Scarlet Viper. I'd heard rumors, but I didn't expect to meet you so soon."

The voice was deep, calm, and male. It came from the shadows, just behind her.

Sienna spun around, knife in hand, eyes narrowed. "Who the hell are you?"

The man stepped forward, his face barely illuminated by the dim light seeping through the window. He was tall, muscular, with a rough, dangerous edge to him. His smile was cold. "Just someone with a vested interest in your target. Unfortunately for you, that interest doesn't align with your mission."

Her heart raced, but her expression remained calm. "You're not supposed to be here."

The man chuckled, his eyes gleaming with amusement. "Neither are you. But here we are. Now, why don't you hand over what you came for and walk away?"

She had no time for this. Sienna tightened her grip on the knife, her stance lowering into a defensive position. "That's not how this works."

The man shrugged, stepping closer, clearly confident in his advantage. "Pity. I was hoping you'd be smart about this."

Without warning, he lunged, and Sienna moved instinctively. Pain shot through her side as her injured wound protested, but she pushed it down, her body a blur of movement. She dodged his first strike, countering with a swift cut of her blade. It grazed his arm, drawing blood, but he barely flinched.

He was fast—too fast for a man of his size. She danced around him, her mind calculating every angle, every step. But the pain in her side was slowing her down, weakening her movements.

He noticed.

"You're injured," the man said, his tone darkly amused. "This is going to be easier than I thought."

Her mind raced, adrenaline pumping through her veins as she fought to keep up with his relentless attacks. She dodged another blow, but her body wasn't cooperating the way it should. She was slowing, her vision blurring slightly from the strain.

And then, just as the man moved in for what should have been the final blow, something unexpected happened.

A shot rang out, echoing through the room.

The man stumbled, clutching his arm, and Sienna looked up, stunned. In the shadows of the doorway stood Reid—or rather, the Phantom—his gun trained on her attacker.

"Seems like you could use some help," he said, his voice calm, his expression unreadable.

Sienna's heart skipped a beat, but she quickly masked her surprise. "I had it under control."

Reid stepped into the room, his eyes never leaving her as he moved with practiced grace. "Of course you did."

The man groaned, struggling to his feet, but Reid was faster. He moved swiftly, knocking the man out cold with a precise strike to the head. The room fell silent once more, the tension dissipating as the danger passed.

Sienna exhaled, feeling the weight of the moment settle over her. "Why are you here, Phantom?"

Reid glanced at her, his silver eyes gleaming in the dim light. "Call it curiosity."

She scowled, leaning against the wall to steady herself. "I don't need your help."

He smirked, walking toward her slowly. "I didn't come to help. I came to make sure you didn't get in over your head."

Her eyes narrowed. "I'm not in over my head."

Reid stopped in front of her, his expression softening slightly. "You're still hurt."

She opened her mouth to argue, but the pain in her side flared again, cutting her off. She grimaced, clutching her wound.

Without a word, Reid stepped closer, his hand reaching out to gently touch her side. His fingers brushed against her skin, sending an unexpected shiver down her spine.

"You should be more careful," he said quietly, his voice low, almost intimate.

For a moment, they stood there, the air between them thick with tension. It wasn't the same as before—this time, there was something different, something unspoken. The darkness of the room seemed to close in around them, amplifying the charged energy between them.

"I don't need a babysitter," Sienna whispered, her voice trembling slightly despite her best efforts.

Reid leaned in closer, his breath warm against her skin. "I'm not your babysitter. But I am watching."

Her heart pounded in her chest, her mind spinning. She had never let anyone get this close before—never let anyone past her walls. But Reid was different. He saw through her, understood her in a way that no one else had.

And she wasn't sure if that terrified her or thrilled her.

Before she could say anything else, Reid pulled back, his expression unreadable once more. "Get your wound looked at. You'll need to be at full strength for the next round.