── ✶ prologue

_______________

━━━━ 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐎𝐒 𝐂𝐀𝐍𝐕𝐀𝐒 ━━━━

If you had told Max Anniston a year ago that she would be fighting for her life in a series of deadly games, with her survival hinging on winning a visa to stay in Japan, she would have laughed in your face.

Why? Because that kind of stuff only happens in fiction. It's the kind of thing people conjure up to fill their empty fantasy worlds, or worse, to indulge in the morbid pleasure of watching others shed blood, sweat, and tears to survive, regardless of the circumstances.

But fiction or not, that was exactly what was about to happen to Max Anniston.

To understand how she got here, let's go back to the beginning.

Max Anniston was, in many ways, an ordinary 22-year-old woman. Born and raised in New York City, she had a straightforward life, largely defined by academic ambition and a desire to follow in the footsteps of her parents—both of whom were highly respected doctors.

Growing up in a well-off family, there had always been the unspoken expectation that Max would continue the family tradition, rising through the ranks of academia and eventually taking her place in the medical world. And for a long time, Max was content to do just that.

She wasn't trying to be a cliché, or the "I'm not like other girls" type—no, Max was well aware of her own quirks and flaws. If anything, she'd describe herself as emotionally constipated, never quite sure how to open up or connect with others. Socializing wasn't her strong suit, and while she was far from a misanthrope, she preferred the quiet solitude of her own company. Making friends was never something that came easily to her, and while she wasn't cold or unkind, she often found herself feeling out of place in social situations.

It might seem ironic, then, that Max was on her way to becoming a psychiatrist. After all, wasn't the job of a psychiatrist to engage with others, to offer counsel, and provide emotional support? Max had asked herself that question more than once.

Yet, beneath her own reservations about human connection, she harbored a deep desire to help people. She wanted to be a voice for those who couldn't speak up, to provide support to individuals who, like her, might struggle to navigate the intricacies of social interaction or the weight of emotional burdens.

She excelled in her studies—almost too easily, if you asked her. Academic life was, in many ways, a refuge for Max. It was predictable, structured, and clear. Unlike social situations, which could feel messy and uncertain, studying was something she could control. Information came naturally to her; she didn't have to work excessively to memorize facts or grasp complex concepts. As her parents had hoped, she passed her courses with flying colors, maintaining a near-perfect GPA.

Her academic success opened many doors, but none was as significant as the one that led her to the University of Tokyo. It was the opportunity of a lifetime—an invitation to complete her bachelor's degree in Japan, a country renowned for its advancements. When she received the acceptance letter, her parents were overwhelmed with pride, shedding tears of joy for their daughter's accomplishments.

But for Max, the news was bittersweet. Yes, it was an honor and a chance for unparalleled growth, but it also meant leaving behind the familiarity of home, her parents, and the life she had carefully built for herself.

The prospect of moving to a foreign country, of being completely on her own, terrified her more than she wanted to admit. She was a creature of habit, after all, and Tokyo was an unknown, a city buzzing with life and opportunity, but also brimming with challenges and uncertainty.

Her parents, however, encouraged her to embrace the adventure with an open heart and mind. They reminded her that education was not just about knowledge but also about growth, pushing boundaries, and exploring new horizons. So, with a mixture of excitement and trepidation, Max decided to take the plunge. She would go to Japan, and she would make the most of the opportunity, no matter how intimidating it seemed.

But as it turned out, her journey to Japan wasn't just about education.

The adventure that awaited her was far more dangerous than she could have ever imagined.

What was supposed to be a pursuit of knowledge in a prestigious university was about to turn into a perilous game, one where every lesson was a riddle and every exam came with deadly consequences. In this new world, the stakes weren't just about passing or failing; they were about life and death.

And Max Anniston, the emotionally guarded, socially awkward young woman who once lived for academic success, was about to face trials that would test her in ways no textbook could prepare her for.

_______________

— Author's Note: ahhhhh so happy to get the first writing for this book out, I've had this idea for a while as I see Harley Quinn perfectly fit for a world like the borderlands

— Author's Note: ahhhhh so happy to get the first writing for this book out, I've had this idea for a while as I see Harley Quinn perfectly fit for a world like the borderlands. I feel like she would thriveeeee there lol. Anyways feedback is very much appreciated:)

I will try to write as much as possible, after publishing this I need to focus on my hairdresser junior exam but after that I will get back to writing more so please bare with me:)<3

Please comment and interact don't be a silent reader!!🤍