Chapter 1: A 'Not' so Thanksgiving.

Family. Its a concept most people don't think twice about. No matter how long you spend with someone, it will never be the same as knowing them by blood.

"Would you stop looking at me like that!" Screamed my seventy something year old 'grandfather,' a dirty look appearing on his face.

I continued my gaze, looking into the eyes of the man across the table as he chewed his turkey with an open mouth.

The old man turned his gaze to his daughter. "What's up with this one anyway, awfully problematic at home I'll bet." 

My 'mother' returned his harsh gaze, "Now dad, just because she's a silent girl doesn't mean she's problematic. If I'm being honest she behaves better then her older siblings."

"It's called having a personality Mom!" argued my 16 year old 'brother' Berry.

"I wouldn't dub filling your younger sisters room with mannequin corpses as 'having a personality' Berry..."

"The boys right Irina, that child has no personality! All she does is stare at me like some sort of interrogator every time I'm near her. I wouldn't call that 'just being a silent girl.'" 

I peered back down at my anatomy book, which had been the only item I had put on my Christmas list, and began to study the page which contained a diagram of the nervous system.

"I reckon you put that girl in the same high school as the other kids, maybe it could knock some normality into her!" The old man continued angrily.

"Dad! You know my precious little flower is too delicate for the terrors of the public school system!" Screamed Irina.

"Excuses, excuses. I don't want to hear none of that talk when you know damn well the only reason she's like this is from your little home academy isolating her from the world. Its a tough world out there and the sooner she realizes that the sooner she will stop staring at that creepy little book!"

Irina turned red in frustration as she tried to think of an excuse for my curriculum choices. She eventually resorted to being bailed out by the small Japanese man beside her—her husband and my 'father.'"

"Back me up already Yasu darling, tell my dad how smart our little Mizuki is from my homeschooling!"

The black haired man turned cherry red as everyone at the table turned their gazes to him, awaiting his testimony as if we were in the local courthouse.

"Sh-She's uhm... Very smart indeed dear, and I have never seen a better curriculum for a girl her age, and look how perfect she is..." Yasu agreed with a nervous smile.

Irina smiled at his answer, obviously satisfied.

"Except for the fact that she doesn't have friends... and she is pretty uhm... robotic..?" He continued, a finger against his chin as he thought out loud.

"Say one more word and you're dead!" Angrily whispered my mom, who was now just as red as my father from embarrassment.

"Yes ma'am!"

"Not a single friend!" Larry exclaimed as he slammed his fist down on the wooden table. "First you leave Montgomery," He pointed a dirty finger at Yasu, "And then you marry a damn stick figure." His gaze turned to me, "And now this!"

A small old woman emerged from the kitchen, holding a large pumpkin pie in her hands. 

"Would you like some pie Larry dear?" asked Martha, my 'grandmother.'

"Read the room Martha, I'm in the middle of an argument and you're asking if I want pie? 

The old woman blinked, clearly puzzled, "Uhm, do you dear?"