Going Back?

Mae

After filling my stomach with a fish and half of the meat that was roasted, inkling of being full finally surfaced in my stomach.

Gah. Eating cooked meals, how nostalgic.

Patting my belly, I looked up and saw pairs of eyes looking at me with disbelief.

I look back at them innocently.

"Is there something wrong?" I asked in a curious tone.

"N-nothing." Tai shook his head rapidly, denying.

After that, he looked at me and at the carcass of the hunted deer-like creature.

He then muttered under his breath.

Hmm. I didn't quite hear that.

"...Mae, you should go back with us." Kun, like Tai, stared at me quite intently, no, at my stomach.

Is there something in my stomach? Why do they keep looking at it?

I was beginning to be suspicious but my eyes slightly narrowed at his words.

"Go back where?" Is there a place with people—no, Beastmen here?

I wondered and Gani answered my question.

"To our tribe."

"The Five United Tribe is near this cave. Six mountains and one lake away." Josie softly added.

A tribe! I have read about that in novels too.

But from what I remember from my novels, only Beastmen of their own kind stay with each other.

But it seems like here, different beastmen species live together.

Okay, Kun looks like a Leopard, so that's one; Tai is a wolf, so that's two; Gani is a snake; Josie, based on the tattoo wings on his back, seems like a predatory bird: and lastly, Deli, a mermaid like creature. That's five.

Hmm. The tribe's name makes sense now.

I mused then nodded in agreement.

"I'm willing to go." I kind of want to see what a tribe with different beastmen living there looks like.

Deli's eyes twinkled at my agreement and a gentle smile appeared on his cold face.

Oh, wow. Handsome.

Really, I should be away from handsome faces, they always make me exclaim in praise.

Hmm. There's something strange though. Why am I so agreeable to them?

I just realized that ever since I woke up, my temper with them was tame and I find myself accommodating to their presence.

Is this what the science books say as a female's 'nesting behavior'?

Usually, I'm quite irritable near men. I only like their good faces but dislike going near them.

Even my friend and buddy, Michelle, don't receive the gentle treatment from me.

Wow. This nesting behavior is terrifying if it's indeed it.

"Mae, is there something wrong? Are you uncomfortable?" When I snapped out of my daze, Tai's face was dangerously near me.

"I'm fine, just lost in thought." I leaned back.

Dangerous. Very dangerous. It was as if all my danger instincts suddenly malfunctioned.

How come I didn't notice him so near my face? Even though I was dazing, I should be able to sense him going so near me.

Is it because they're like my mates, now?

Even though they weren't able to mark my gland, they were able to mark my body.

"Ugh." I suddenly feel my head throb.

"Mae!" Worried voices echoed quite dramatically.

"I'm alright, really." I chuckled. Fine, I'm not going to delve deep into the matter since my head's aching and all.

"How about you escort me to your tribe now? It looks like it's going to be quite far away." I diverted, and successfully changed the topic.

"If you're uncomfortable, tell us. We'll do everything to make you feel better." Josie promised.

A handsome face really is the best cure for headaches.