Chapter 18.

_______

3RD POV
_______

.

.

He never thought he'd say this, but what the fuck?

Throughout his relatively short life, he'd heard an array of different sounds and had become adept at reading people based on those sounds. This skill allowed him to instantly recognize that the gentle yet strong sounds emanating from Tanjiro indicated that he was someone safe to be around. In contrast, Inosuke's wild and abrasive clatters, brutally honest and upfront, left no room for deceit, even though his presence was quite scary and exhausting.

Despite everything, he knew how to distinguish human sounds from those of demons.

And yet...

The sounds of Taiyo-shin, or rather Colith-san, were unlike anything he had ever encountered. They weren't oppressive or vile as he'd expect from demons, nor did they resemble the ordinary tones of humans.

He couldn't make sense of them.

And it terrified him.

Zenitsu was by no means a devout believer, but that didn't stop him from fearing the wrath of whatever deity was up there. And to learn that the person currently sharing a room with them was a God?! He just didn't know what to do !

And to think that he had spent the day freaking out! What if he had angered her? Or, or-

"Why is your skin so dirty?"

His heart nearly lept out of his mouth upon seeing Inosuke march towards her before rudely wiping her arm in an attempt to 'remove' the dirt.

That's it. They were doomed. And he had yet to get married.

As he was on the verge of passing out, he almost didn't even register the amused snort she released while Tanjiro began scolding Inosuke over his rude behavior.

She, she didn't seem mad?

Zenitsu won't lie and say that he was familiar with dark skinned people, heck, this counted as his first time interacting with one, more or less, but he's pretty sure if someone rudely pointed out his buck teeth and mocked it, he'd be furious! He was genuinely surprised when she calmly explained her circumstances with a gentle, almost motherly tone.

He was utterly flabbergasted.

It wasn't until after she'd retired to her room after dinner-and wasn't that a chaotic event with Inosuke involved-that he rounded up on Tanjiro for questioning. He learned that they had met two years ago and has become someone he deeply respects.

"So...when did you, y'know, find out what she was?" Zenitsu inquired.

.

.

.

-"Heya Tanji-kun, forgot to inform you last time, I'm a goddess. So anyway, have some lunch!"-