Chapter 1

Suddenly, fog swirled in front of him, obscuring the road ahead. He slowed his bike to a crawl, cautious in the dense mist. A van materialized before him, and a screeching sound pierced the air as both drivers slammed on their brakes. Fortunately, disaster was averted.

Relieved, the bike rider exchanged glances with the van driver. The driver's gaze lingered on the young man's chiseled features, short black hair, and loose white shirt. But what caught his attention was the tiny, delicate hands clutching the rider's shirt. A child sat behind him.

The little girl's big, glassy eyes sparkled with bewilderment, fixed intently on the driver. Her father's face creased with concern as he instinctively wrapped his arms around her tiny hands. "Are you okay, baby?" he asked.

"I'm okay, Daddy. Let's go home," she whispered, her milky voice trembling as she glanced fearfully at the driver.

The driver's enigmatic smile unsettled the father. How did fog appear out of nowhere on a clear road? And why was the driver staring at his daughter with such intensity?

" Hold me tight," the father said, accelerating his bike.

As they rode away, the little girl smiled lovingly at her father, casting a surreptitious glance over her shoulder. Her smile deepened, but her father didn't notice.

He checked his rearview mirror, expecting to see the van. But the road was empty, fog-free, and deserted. His pupils constricted in shock. Had it all been a hallucination? No, that was impossible – they'd nearly crashed.

"Daddy?" the little girl asked, her voice milky sweet.

"Nothing," he replied, speeding toward home, perplexed.