CHAPTER 6

As I drove into George's family company’s garage, an odd mix of anticipation and nervousness settled in my stomach. The familiar surroundings of D&G Inc., his family’s iconic cosmetics brand, loomed ahead, bringing back a flood of memories—both good and bad. My hope? To get in and out without crossing paths with my dad. A lecture from him about responsibility or family pride was the last thing I needed.

Every echo of footsteps made my heart skip, hoping it would be George, only to deflate when another employee crossed my path. Dialing George’s number for what felt like the hundredth time, I was met with nothing but his voicemail. He had told me to wait for him at the nearby café, but after an hour of watching couples walk in and out, loneliness had settled deep in my bones.

A sudden knock on the car window startled me out of my thoughts. I looked up, relieved to see George’s familiar grin. He opened the door and slipped into the passenger seat, a sheepish smile on his face.

“How’d you know I’d be waiting here?” I teased, trying to mask my earlier frustration.

“The café security guard told me you left. I was headed to your place to grovel, but then I saw your car,” he explained, an apologetic tone in his voice.

I smirked. “And where’s the groveling? Do you realize you're the first guy to ever stand me up?”

He chuckled softly, his usual charm in full force. “I’m honored to be the first. And I intend to be the first in many things with you.”

I swatted his shoulder playfully, the frustration I’d been holding onto quickly melting away. “Apology accepted, but next time, maybe don’t leave me hanging for so long.”

He grasped my hand gently, his fingers warm against mine. “I really am sorry.”

For a moment, the warmth of his touch made it hard to breathe. My pulse quickened, and I pulled my hand away, focusing instead on starting the engine.

“Alright, let’s go,” I said, breaking the tension. George leaned back into the seat, his playful grin returning.

“You’re awfully alert today,” he said with a teasing tone. “Relax. I’m not going to bite. And if I did, I promise not you.”

I laughed despite myself. “So where exactly am I taking you?”

George’s eyelids drooped with exhaustion as he leaned his head against the car’s headrest. “Honestly? I have no idea. Surprise me. I trust you.”

I glanced at him, noticing the fatigue etched across his face. His smile faded slightly as his eyes closed. Only one place came to mind.

“Get some rest. I’ll wake you when we get there.”

A small, content smile tugged at the corners of his mouth as I placed my hand on his. The gesture felt simple, yet intimate.

The night air was cool as we drove along the coast, the salty ocean breeze slipping in through the cracked windows. George stirred slightly in his sleep, but the gentle lull of the car kept him dozing. I noticed the way his jacket slipped off his shoulders, and before I could stop myself, I reached over and pulled it back up.

But the night chill wasn’t just from the breeze—it was from the tension I felt building inside me.

After a while, we arrived at the beach, the moonlight painting the sand in silver streaks. I parked, watching the waves for a moment before gently nudging George awake.

“Where are we?” he mumbled, rubbing his eyes as he sat up.

I pointed toward the ocean, the rhythmic sounds of the waves greeting us. “Just thought we could use a little fresh air.”