chapter five

THE NEXT DAY -

Everyone woke up to find that Wells had been murdered. Clarke was extremely broken up about it. She had refused to talk to pretty much anyone.

Octavia, Jasper, Monty and Evelyn were sitting outside the dropship.
"Do you think it was the grounders?" I ask them.

Monty shrugs. "I hope so. I mean, people in the camp were angry at him but angry enough to kill?"

I nod. "You should go check on Clarke. She's barely left his grave."

Jasper nods, "Yeah, I'll do that."

The next thing I knew I was in a meeting with Josh, Bellamy, Octavia, Jasper and Clarke..

"I-I found this outside the wall.. next to fingers... Wells' fingers...' Jasper says, tears in his eyes.

He holds the knife out to Clarke.

She grabs it, inspecting it. "This knife was made of metal from the dropship."

Bellamy looks at Clarke.

"Clarke?"

She looks up at them. "It means the Grounders didn't kill Wells. It was one of us."

"So, there's a murderer in the camp?" I ask.

Clarke tries to leave the tent and get out back to the camp and Bellamy blocks her.

Bellamy frowns. "There's more than one murderer in this camp. This isn't news. We need to keep it quiet."

Clarke glares up at him. "Get out of my way, Bellamy."

Bellamy puts his hands on her shoulders. "Clarke, be smart about this. Look at what we've achieved...the wall, the patrols. Like it or not, thinking the Grounders killed Wells is good for us."

Clarke rolls her eyes. "Oh, good for you, you mean. What-keep people afraid and they'll work for you? Is that it?"

Bellamy shakes his head, sighing. "Yeah. That's it. But it's good for all of us. Fear of the Grounders is building that wall. And besides, what are you gonna do... just walk out there and ask the killer to step forward? You don't even know whose knife that is." He says, hoping Clarke hasn't realized.

Clarke scoffs. "Oh, really?" She shows the initials. "John Murphy. The people have a right to know." She storms out of the tent, so Bellamy and Eve follow her.

She runs up, shoving Murphy. "You son of a bitch!"

He laughs. "What's your problem?"

She shoves the knife towards him. "Recognize this?"

He nods. "It's my knife. Where'd you find it?"

She glares. "Where you dropped it after you killed Wells."

Murphy looks at her, confusion written across his face. "Where I what? The Grounders killed
Wells, not me."

"I know what you did, and you're gonna pay for it."

Bellamy and Eve stand behind her and Murphy looks at them.

"Really? You believe this crap?" Murphy asks Bellamy, but looks at me with pleading eyes.

I knew he was innocent. He was with me the whole night, but I couldn't tell them. Josh would kill us both.

Clarke shoves him again. "You threatened to kill him. We all heard you. You hated Wells."

"Plenty of people hated Wells. His father was the Chancellor that locked us up."

"Yeah, but you're the only one who got into a knife fight with him."