Something's off

We emerged from the base's main door, squinting in the harsh sunlight. The once-familiar training grounds were now a war zone. A eerie mist crept across the ground, shrouding the area in an unsettling fog.

"Cover!" Lydia yelled, pulling me behind a nearby crate. I don't know what was happening but I couldn't function. I couldn't fight.

Yvonne crouched beside us, her eyes scanning the horizon. We were in a damp forest,that I took note of,but with all this mist around us, it's going to be a hard fight.

"Death Mists incoming!" a voice crackled over the comms device.

Lydia peeked her head out to the side of the crate, scanning the area.

"Hazel, you're shaking." Yvonne said rubbing my shaking hands. I hadn't even noticed that.

"I'm fine," I said fisting my hands. This was no time for a panic attack.

"Run,Hazel!" My mom's voice rang through my head.

This is no time for a panic attack.

I finally pulled myself together after a few deep breaths then I glanced at Lydia who was testing her rifle. "I can't see anything,I think we should just fire at the mist." She said.

"No wait." I quickly glanced behind the crate, trying to see if there was really no Death Mists in sight.

Just then the mist swirled, revealing twisted, elongated figures. Their bodies seemed to shift and contort, like living shadows. For a moment I think one made eye contact with me because before I knew it,a spike was headed my way but someone was quick to pull me back.

"Gwen." I managed to utter as I made contact with her eyes.

"Remember your training!" Gwen said firing her rifle in precise bursts as she ran around the crate.

I peered around the crate, spotting a cluster of Death Mists converging on our position. Their energy shields pulsed with an otherworldly glow.

Lydia took aim, firing at the shields. The rounds ripped through, exposing the Death Mists' vulnerable flesh.

Yvonne leapt from cover, her pistol blazing as she sprinted toward a nearby Death Mist. She dodged its wild swing, delivering a precise kick that sent it crashing to the ground.

I joined the fray, unleashing a hail of bullets from my rifle. The Death Mists returned fire, their energy blasts scorching the ground mere feet away.

The special forces was also releasing it's fires from the sky shooting at our opponents with precise aims.

"Flanking!" Lydia warned, as a group of Death Mists closed in on our left.

One of them shot at me but I dodged it but it went straight to the guy who was behind me.

I pivoted, firing from the hip as I backed toward the crate checking if the guy was still alive. Yvonne provided covering fire, her shots finding their mark with deadly precision. But the guy was already out.

Suddenly, the ground shook beneath our feet. All the Death Mists froze then they ran off. Once again the ground shook,a bit more aggressive this time. "That can't be good." I heard Yvonne say,fear clear in her tone.

A massive Death Mist behemoth emerged from the mist, its presence warping reality.

"Incoming!" someone shouted over the comms.

The behemoth's energy blast ripped through our defenses, sending us scattering. It's fires were constant, leaving no time for us to even get close to it.