Feigning Distance

_____

_____

Kori made her way through the crowd, effortlessly slipping into conversations and shaking hands with some of the most influential figures in the room. Hollywood's top actors, chart-topping musicians, activists, talk show hosts, and social media influencers-many of whom had publicly and financially supported Kamala's presidential campaign-were in attendance. Several even expressed interest in having Kori manage their social media, impressed by her work with the president.

As the room began to fill up and the energy intensified, Vice President Tim Walz and First Lady Gwen Walz arrived, followed shortly by President Kamala Harris and Second Gentleman Doug Emhoff. The moment the presidential couple entered, the crowd's attention shifted, and applause erupted throughout the grand room in a warm, celebratory welcome. Kori took the opportunity to capture photos and videos of their entrance, making sure to document their interactions with guests.

Music filled the room, with many songs exuding a sense of luxury and capturing the feeling of having everything in place. 'Champagne Life' by Ne-Yo played in the background, setting the perfect tone as servers moved about with trays of champagne.

Kori found herself deep in conversation with singer Victoria Monét, praising the singer's music and artistry. They chatted about their shared appreciation for early 2000's R&B, Beyoncé, fashion, food, and wine.

"I still can't believe you're the genius behind her social media!" Victoria exclaimed, shaking her head in disbelief. "I'm obsessed with the TikToks. You're such a fantastic editor."

Kori smiled, flattered. "Thank you, that means a lot."

"What's it like, working this closely with the president?" Victoria asked. "I bet it's surreal, huh?"

"I definitely have my 'pinch me' moments," Kori admitted with a laugh. "But honestly, I love it. No complaints."

Victoria raised her glass with a smile. "Well, I might have to steal you someday. You've got serious skills, and I could use someone like you on my team."

Kori chuckled, shaking her head. "I'm flattered, but I'm pretty sure Madame President wouldn't want me going anywhere."

"She definitely wouldn't," a familiar voice chimed in. Kamala had approached the two, her presence immediately commanding the two women and surrounding individuals.

"Madame President, hi!" Victoria beamed as she greeted Kamala with a warm embrace.

"Victoria, it's so good to see you!" Kamala responded warmly, exchanging polite smiles with Kori.

"So, how does it feel to be the HBIC?" Victoria teased, taking a sip of her champagne. Kori mirrored her, raising her own glass.

Kamala smiled, shrugging slightly. "It's an honor, truly. We're already making strides, setting things in motion. I told the American people I'd work to make things better, and I intend to keep that promise. So far, we're off to a great start."