Chapter Six

⋆🕯. 

The next morning, Lori awoke to the sight of her mother's face hovering above her, a stern expression etched into Cersei's features. Sunlight streamed through the window, casting an ethereal glow around them, but the moment felt heavy. "Lori," Cersei said, her voice sharp but low, "you need to wake up. Ned Stark has accepted King Robert's appointment as Hand of the King." Lori blinked, confusion washing over her. She had thought he might refuse, and some part of her had hoped that the Starks would stay behind. But now, everything was moving forward. Cersei's eyes narrowed slightly, irritation flickering across her face as she noticed her daughter's hesitation. "The decision has been made, and you need to prepare yourself."
"Prepare for what?" Lori asked, her heart racing as she sat up in bed.
Cersei straightened, crossing her arms as her gaze darkened. "You're coming home with us. Pack your things before breakfast. We leave as soon as we can."
The weight of her mother's words settled heavily in Lori's chest. She had always dreamt of visiting the capital, of seeing King's Landing, the place her mother ruled so fiercely, but now, with the looming presence of change and uncertainty, excitement felt distant, almost alien. "What if I don't want to go?" she challenged, her voice quiet, searching her mother's gaze for any sign of leniency.
Cersei's expression hardened instantly. "You don't have a choice. You're the princess, and your duties come first. Do not ask me again." With a heavy sigh, Lori pushed the covers aside, feeling the weight of obligation settle on her shoulders. She would have to confront her new reality—and all the implications that came with it. Sandor Clegane would be with her for the long journey south, watching her every move like the dutiful dog he was. The thought of his constant presence grated on her nerves. Her freedom, once so precious, felt like it was slipping away. "And Lori," the Queen spoke again, "I thought this traveling might be a good opportunity for you to know your brother. Of course, you are welcome in the carriage with me, but I hope you will ride beside him. He shall rule one day, and you'll want to be close to him when he does."
"He shall rule?" Lori repeated, the words stinging her more than they should have.

Before Cersei could respond, there was a knock at the door, and Tyrion Lannister stepped inside the room. His mismatched eyes gleamed with a knowing look. "Niece, I hear you will be returning to King's Landing with your family. It is good news indeed," he said, his voice full of mischief.
"Will you not be joining us, Uncle?" Lori asked, furrowing her brow in the hope that he had misspoken. She desperately wanted him to come along, as he was one of the few who could make her laugh and provide some reprieve from the unbearable journey.
"I am off to the Wall," Tyrion replied, leaning casually against the doorframe, "to see the greatest structure ever built, the intrepid men of the Night's Watch, and perhaps the wintry abode of the White Walkers." He made faces at Myrcella, who was standing beside her mother, and Lori couldn't help but smile a little, despite her dismal mood.
Jaime, who was also there, chimed in with his usual jest, "Tell me, you're not thinking of taking the black, little brother?" Tyrion chuckled at the thought and launched into a long-winded explanation of his love for wine, women, and the finer things in life, none of which he could give up for a life of celibacy and duty. But Lori wasn't listening. Her mind was elsewhere, contemplating her own options. Could she cry persistently enough to make her mother leave her in Winterfell? Or at the very least, convince them not to make her ride her mare beside the Hound and Joffrey? Or perhaps she could escape with Tyrion and see the Wall? Maybe, just maybe, she could even jump from one of Winterfell's towers and end this internal conflict herself.
She was still lost in thought when her mother and siblings left the room, and her uncle's words snapped her back to the present. "Look at Lori, all grown up," Tyrion commented, his tone light but his eyes searching. "As a babe, Cersei deemed she would be grotesque, but now she's one of the most beautiful women in the Seven Kingdoms."
Lori turned sharply, her anger rising. "She considered me grotesque? Because of a birthmark?"
Jaime laughed, the sound rich and full of amusement. "She is quite shallow, your mother."