9. Is that an order?

SPOILS RECKLESS SPOILS RECKLESS SPOILS RECKLESS

Paedyn's POV:

"You got my note." The words spill from my mouth before Kai even sits down opposite me. A small table sits between us, as the floor-to-ceiling windows allow the sunlight to trickle in, lighting up the space around us. Kai nods as he sits but I can already see his usual grey eyes are distant. He doesn't meet mine, instead staring at the teapot that has since gone cold. "Are you alright, Kai?" I ask after a lengthy moment of pure, heavy silence.

No response.

"I waited for you- but the tea went cold. I can order another pot if you want," I say softly. I'm trying to fill in the silence but plagues, I don't sound like myself. I never would have imagined that there would come a day where I offered tea to Kai, never imagine a day where I had a team of servants at my service to fetch a blasted teapot– not since all of Ilya found out that I was powerless. Alas, it is something that I will have to get used to when I marry Kitt.

Kai shakes his head, quietly declining. He clears his throat, his eyes briefly meeting mine before he turns his head to look out the window. "I came, didn't I?"

There's something hinting at his voice. Sadness possibly, or perhaps anguish. Whatever it is, he isn't acting normal if he can't even look me in the eyes. I slide my hand across the table to hold his, but he quickly withdraws it.

"Kai," I say, trying to not let the hurt fill my voice. I watch him wince at the sign of it, shaking his head softly.

"I should go- shouldn't have come." He rises from the chair just as quickly as he sat down. I jump to my feet, refusing to see him go.

"No, stay. Please." I grab onto his arm, making him look at me- forcing him to look at me. "Don't go, Kai."

Kai stops, only for a moment but it is enough to watch him falter. "Is that an order?" He asks. If it were any other instance then I would laugh but he stared at me solemnly, not a hint of mirth in his gaze.

"You know it's not. Please just stay." I respond, tugging at his arm.

"How can I know, Pae? You're about to be crowned queen." He takes a deep breath, closing his eyes. "You're going to be my superior when you marry Kitt." His words are so plain, yet a heavy feeling pools in my stomach. I drop my hand from his arm and shake my head, even though he can't see the action.

"It doesn't matter, not now-" I begin to whisper but Kai cuts me off, just as softly. "You're getting married in three days. Pae, it does matter and you know all too well that I can't cause a scandal before it. I shouldn't even be here." He opens his eyes, looking directly at me.

I shuffle slightly, thinking about how bad it would be if Kitt found us here. He knows something happened between us, he's already suspicious and us being here would only add fire to it. I take a deep breath, my thoughts racing.

"I'm not married yet, Kai. We could-" He cuts me off again, firmly shaking his head. "I will not be someone who tries to be with a married woman. I can't Pae, I have to be better than him." His words are set and I know that he really means it. The feeling in my stomach drops lower, any hope of finding a way to get around the marriage dwindles. It pains me, though I know it must pain Kai even more, having his brother force marriage on me to keep me away.

"I'm sorry Pae, but there's nothing I can do." He whispers, wrapping his arms around me and pulling me into an embrace. "I'm sorry, truly but I need to stay away from you."

He lets go of me and before I can even manage a proper response, he walks out of the room, leaving me to stand heartbroken. 

I meant to write during the term but then I drowned in school work... anyway still need to lock in during the holidays and final term so there's no certainty that I'll be able to update again... SORRY Y'ALL

Anyway, here's a little oneshot that I wrote on/off, so it's not the best (sorryyyyyy)

Thanks for all of your support, it means a lot!! Thank you :)