Chapter 5

Rex was asleep, thank you very much. He didn't take phone calls in the middle of the night. If he could sleep through two babies screaming at the top of their lungs, he could definitely sleep through his phone ringing.

  When his phone started ringing the third time, he had to admit that he couldn't, in fact, sleep through his phone ringing. Half asleep, he fished his phone from under his pillow. His eyes took a few seconds to adjust to the bright light. He was going to murder whichever idiot was calling him at- he paused. The call was from Ahsoka.

  "Ahsoka?" he picked up and didn't start with insulting his friend. That was a success. Now he just needed to be civil while he told her to fuck off, other wise he would lose all his chances.

  "Rex!" The panic in Ahsoka's voice was enough to wake him up and make him forget how mad he was about being woken up. "Rex, I need you to pick me up."

  "Where are you?"

  "At a party."

  "Where?" Rex set the call on speakerphone as he scavenged for some clothes. Cody always laughed at his habit of sleeping naked. Why did Cody always have to be right?

  "A level up from my apartment."

  "I need you to be more specific, Ahsoka."

  "I don't- I don't really know," Ahsoka admitted. She must've been really scared. Or maybe she had a few drinks. Probably both. Ahsoka was too smart not to just look at her phone for the location under normal circumstances.

  "Ahsoka, I need you to open a map on your phone and then send me the address, okay?"

  "Okay."

  By the time Ahsoka sent him the address, Rex was already sprinting down the stairs. He hoped he didn't wake anyone up. His nosy siblings would certainly ask what was he up to at two in the morning. 

  "Rex. Rex, when are you gonna be here?"

  "Twenty minutes."

  "Are you sure you can't be here sooner?"

  "No, I'm sorry. I'm starting the car right now. Tell me what happened," Rex prompted Ahsoka to tell him what was going on in the first place. First because he needed to know, she most certainly wasn't this desperate for a pick up for no reason. Secondly because talking should help with her panic.

  "I went to a party with a few people from school," Ahsoka started. So far, it sounded fine. Sure, she was a sixteen years old on a party where people were probably drinking, smoking and fucking, if not worse, but Rex wasn't one to judge. Cody knew he wasn't exactly the calmest of teenagers but he had no idea just what shits has Rex gotten into. Only his friends knew and Rex was going to do everything in his power to keep it that way.

  "And?"

  "The people I know just left so I had a few drinks... Then I met this guy. My ex. He's an asshole."

  "Alright," Rex agreed. He didn't know anything about that guy but he agreed. In Rex's book, anyone who dated Ahsoka was an asshole. So was anyone who dared to as much as look at her in a wrong way. The good thing about Cody dating Ahsoka's brother was that they were somewhat siblings in law. That meant he could be overprotective of Ahsoka, even if they weren't dating and maybe weren't ever going to. Probably weren't ever going to. Ahsoka was a teenager. Rex was twenty. He was fine with waiting, but was Ahsoka? And that was assuming she even liked him in any other way than as a friend. So yeah, Rex would take being technically in laws.

  "He asked me to dance. So we danced."

  "You danced with your ex who is an asshole?!" What the fuck? Ahsoka didn't sound that drunk. In fact, she didn't sound drunk at all. So... what clouded her judgement? A crush, maybe? Yeah, that sounded just about right, like the most probable answer that Rex really didn't want to hear.