Chapter 5: Meeting an Old Friend

Forest awoke the following day to sunlight filtering through the curtains and Ana stirring in his hands. He blinked open his eyes and peered down at her tiny form.

"Good morning," he whispered, his voice rough with sleep.

Ana yawned and stretched. "Good morning, Forest." She nuzzled against his palm, seeking his warmth and affection. "Did you sleep well?"

"um-hum....yes." He stroked her back with a fingertip, marveling at how small and delicate she was. "How about you? Were you comfortable?"

"Very." She peered up at him through her lashes, a shy smile curving her lips. "Your hands make the perfect bed."

Heat rose in Forest's cheeks at her words. He cleared his throat, unsure how to respond, and asked, "Are you hungry?"

Ana nodded. "Starving.

Forest sat up and climbed out of bed. "Let's get you something to eat."

He carried her downstairs to the kitchen, set her on the counter, and opened the fridge to examine its contents. "What would you like? I have fruit, yogurt, eggs..."

"Fruit sounds perfect." Ana slid across the counter until she was at the edge, peering down at the floor below.

Forest retrieved a container of blueberries from the fridge and a small bowl from the cupboard. He placed a few of the berries in the bowl, enough to seem like a feast to Ana's tiny size.

When he set the bowl on the counter, Ana dove in with enthusiasm, grabbing a blueberry between two hands and taking a bite. The blueberry was as big as her head. The juices dribbled down her chin.

"I'll have to redesign your tank, just in case you keep changing form without any control," Forest commented as he poured himself a bowl of cereal.

"Yea.....I guess I'll need that." Ana Replied aplenty. "I just don't know what happened. I haven't been able to control it; I'm scared I'll change in the wrong environment."

"I'll ensure you're fine," Forest reassured his tiny girlfriend. "I should probably get you some clothes too."

Ana grinned at her giant boyfriend. "Aw, I thought you were enjoying the view." She said with a giggle. "But yea, honestly I'd like something....It gets cold."

Before Forest could reply, his phone buzzed with an oncoming message. Forest tapped his phone open and pulled the message up.

"It's your friend.....she replied. She'd like to meet today at noon, at that café down the street." Forest said with a frown.

"That's Great! Oh! I'm so happy she's willing to help!" Ana excitedly replied.

Forest looked down at his mouse-sized girlfriend with a deep frown. "Are you sure you want to go? I got a bad feeling about this."

"Yes! Forest.....she's my friend. She might not like humans, but she wouldn't do anything to hurt me."

"Alright," Forest said with a sigh. He tapped a quick message to confirm to Melody that they could make it. "We should have some time to swing by the store. Maybe we can find some doll clothes that can fit you."

"That would be wonderful." Ana smiled. Finally, things were looking up.

****

Forest tucked Ana into his breast pocket. He had a large water bottle packed inside his backpack. Just in case Ana's mermaid form emerged during their meeting with Melody. She was so small, she'd easily fit inside if needed.