5

TAYLOR SWIFT
I watch Alice pace the living room, her arms crossed tightly across her chest, her eyes darting anxiously to the floor as if she's tracing some invisible pattern. She's biting her bottom lip, that same nervous habit I have when I'm overwhelmed. Is this what I look like when I'm pacing anxiously? I can see now why Travis stops me every time—it's unnerving. Every step she takes adds to the tension in the room, her energy vibrating like a live wire.

"Oh my god, stop pacing!" I snap, the frustration bubbling over.

Alice halts mid-step and glares at me, startled by my outburst. "Damn, okay!" she mutters, throwing her hands up in surrender as she collapses onto the couch with an exaggerated sigh. She leans her head back against the cushions, looking up at the ceiling, her brows furrowed.

I sit across from her, trying to keep my own nerves in check. "It's going to be fine, Alice," I say, keeping my voice calm, though I'm not entirely sure I believe it myself.

She groans, dragging her hands down her face. "He said he wanted to talk, Taylor. Whenever someone says that, it's never something good! No one ever says 'I want to talk' when everything's fine. It's always, 'I want to talk,' and then boom, it's a breakup or bad news or—" She gestures wildly, her mind spiraling with worst-case scenarios.

"Hunter seems like a good guy," I reassure her. I know she's terrified, her fear wrapped up in her past experiences, but from what I've seen, Hunter isn't like that.

Alice scoffs, sitting up straighter, her arms tightening around her knees. "Yeah, but what if I'm wrong? What if he's been pretending this whole time? I mean, I'm already so much trouble. I got fired, lost the apartment, I'm a financial disaster, and now I'm pregnant...what if it's just too much for him? What if he can't take it anymore?" Her voice cracks at the end, and I can see the fear eating at her.

I shake my head, leaning closer. "He's still here, isn't he? Hunter's your ex-husband, and yet he's willing to stay in your life, even through all of this. That says something, doesn't it?" I try to smile, hoping it'll reassure her, but I can tell she's still spiraling in her own thoughts.

Before I can say more, the doorbell rings, cutting through the tension like a knife. Alice freezes, her eyes widening as she turns toward the sound. I can practically feel the anxiety radiating off her.

"I'll get it," I say, standing up quickly and heading toward the door. I pull it open to find Hunter standing there, looking a little awkward, shifting his weight from foot to foot.

"Hey, nice to see you again..." he says, his tone hesitant, like he's not quite sure what to say.

I raise an eyebrow, confused. "I live here. Did you expect to not see me or something?"

He laughs nervously, rubbing the back of his neck. "Uh, no, I just meant...you know, it's been a while since we...talked."

"Right," I say, stepping aside so he can come in. He looks around the living room, his gaze landing on Alice, who's staring at him with a mixture of hope and dread. The air between them is thick, almost suffocating, and I can tell this conversation isn't going to be easy for either of them.

I clear my throat, feeling like an intruder in their moment. "I'll give you guys some privacy," I say softly, glancing at Alice before heading toward the kitchen.

As I walk away, I hear Hunter take a deep breath. "Alice...we need to talk." His voice is gentle, but there's a heaviness to it, like he's bracing himself for whatever comes next.

I just hope it's not the worst of what Alice is fearing.

"What is it?" Alice asks, her voice barely above a whisper. I can hear the fear trembling in her words, like she's bracing for the worst possible news.