6

ALICE LANGLEY
I shift uncomfortably on the exam table, adjusting my body in a futile attempt to find a position that doesn't make me feel like I'm carrying two bowling balls. Being 18 weeks pregnant with twins was a whole new level of discomfort I hadn't prepared for. I glance at Hunter, sitting a few feet away, completely absorbed in his phone. He looks up for a second but quickly goes back to scrolling.

"I'm dropping journalism," I blurt out, the words feeling final but right as they leave my mouth.

Hunter's head snaps up, and he frowns. "Really? But you love it..."

I shrug, rubbing a hand over my swollen belly, trying to soothe myself as much as the babies. "I love my kids more. They need stability, and I'm honestly not that great at journalism." I chuckle, trying to make light of the situation, but it feels heavy.

Hunter tilts his head, narrowing his eyes as if he's trying to gauge whether or not I'm being serious. "Now what are you going to do?"

I take a deep breath, preparing for the reaction I know is coming. "Believe it or not, Taylor hired me to help with her finances. Her father used to do it, but he passed a few years ago, so she needs someone to manage things."

Hunter's face twists into a look of mild annoyance, and he rolls his eyes. "So, she's bailing you out?"

I can feel my frustration rising, but I try to keep my voice calm. "She's helping me. It's mutually beneficial."

"Mutually beneficial, huh?" he says, crossing his arms. "I just don't want you to rely on her too much. What happens when she doesn't need you anymore?"

I bite the inside of my cheek, feeling a sting from his words but knowing he's just concerned. "It's a start, Hunter. I don't have a lot of options, and right now, this is the best one I've got."

He leans back in the chair, rubbing his chin, and sighs. "I'm glad you're getting back on your feet, I really am. But how much is she paying you?"

I hesitate for a second, then answer, "Average."

Hunter raises an eyebrow. "What's that? Less than a thousand a month? You can't live on that, especially with twins on the way."

"It's a lot more than you think. I'm not doing work for Taylor Swift, I'm also doing work for Taylor Swift ™. I'm helping the company and her. Plus, I'm still rent-free for now."

Hunter shakes his head, a small smile playing on his lips as he tries to hide his worry. "I just don't want you to get stuck in a situation where you're dependent on her for everything."

"I know, but it's not forever. I'll figure things out." I rub my belly again, feeling a small flutter. "I have to figure it out. For them."

He opens his mouth to respond, but before he can say anything, the door swings open, and the doctor walks in with a bright smile on her face, holding a clipboard. "Alright, let's check on those little ones!" she chirps, bringing a welcome distraction from the conversation.

Hunter gives me one last glance, and I can tell he's not completely sold on my decision. But for now, we put everything aside as the doctor preps the ultrasound machine.

The room is softly lit, the gentle hum of the ultrasound machine filling the air as the technician smiles at me, her eyes kind but focused. I lay back on the exam table, adjusting my position for what feels like the hundredth time, trying to find a spot that doesn't strain my back. Being 18 weeks pregnant with twins has made any position a challenge.

"How are you feeling today?" the technician asks, her voice light but professional as she prepares the equipment.

"Nauseous, mostly. Tired all the time, but I think that's just the new normal." I give her a small smile, trying to mask my nerves.