𝟸𝟷

Kate leaned against the edge of her fridge, arms crossed, her face tight with thought. "I went to see my mother," she began, the strain in her voice evident. "First time."

Remy looked up from her hands, her eyes flickering with surprise. "How was it?"

For a moment, Kate was silent. "It was.. hard," she finally admitted. "Hard seeing her like that."

The room felt charged with unresolved tension as Clint, sitting across the room, sighed heavily. He leaned back, arms crossed, his brow furrowed as he eyed Remy. "So now that all the cards are on the table, we should figure out what the next move is," he said, at a clear loss for patience. "No more secrets."

Remy lowered her gaze, feeling the weight of Clint's disappointment. She had disappointed him, and there wasn't much she could say to change that. "I'm sorry."

"I'm retired, I don't do this," Clint explained. "Something's gotta change, girls. I can't be in and out of the city every other week cleaning up your messes."

"Clint, we're all in this now," Kate interjected. "I get where you're coming from, but this is bigger than all of us."

Before Remy could respond, Yelena sauntered in, dropping onto the nearby chair with a casual air that felt out of place amidst the tension. "Pardon my interruption, ladies.. and gent," she added.

"Great timing," Remy muttered.

Yelena raised an eyebrow and stretched her legs out. "You're welcome. But before you all get worked up, I have some inside information."

Clint frowned, "What are you talking about?"

Yelena shrugged, kicking her feet up on Kate's coffee table. "I worked for A.I.M. Contract killings. I'm done with that, but I know things."

Kate looked stunned, while Clint blinked in surprise. "You worked for them?"

"Paid to eliminate threats."

"Which included me," Clint understood, his gaze meeting Yelena's.

"Why didn't you tell me this before?" Remy asked.

"Wasn't relevant before. Now, though, I have details about their bases."

Clint rubbed his temples.

Kate exhaled, stepping away from the fridge. "Yelena's information could be our way in. It's not just about stopping Hanover— it's about taking down A.I.M. for good."

Remy could see the exhaustion in Clint's eyes. "I'm sorry," she said quietly. "I don't want to keep you here."

"It's all good," Kate assured with a pat on Clint's shoulder. "We'll have him back with the fam in no time."

"This is it," Yelena interrupted, laying a thin stack on the kitchen island. "This is all the information I have."

Following what could've been hours of plotting in Kate's small apartment, Remy had decided to stretch her legs.

The streets bustled with sirens as Kate and Remy walked side by side, Lucky trotting between them. Remy glanced at Kate, whose earlier stoicism had melted into a more relaxed demeanor as they enjoyed their walk.

"Be my girlfriend," Kate offered.

Remy grinned, her soft skin flushed red. She took a deep breath, trying to steady her nerves.

"Officially."

"I'd like that."

Kate stopped walking, her lips curled into a smile. "Yeah?"

Remy nodded. "Yeah."

Kate chuckled softly, stepping closer to Remy, brushing her hand against hers.