' What happens, happens for the best '

Days passed and it was one of the most awaited day of the year, the team announcement for the ODI World Cup, 2011.

Every Indian cricket fan sat infront of the television, their eyes glued on their tv screens as the news played infront showing the list of 15 players and probable 11 for next two months.

As every other person, Rohit too sat expecting he could at least male a place in those 15 players, but as the list ended, it left Rohit heartbroken. Not getting a place in playing 11 would still have been better than not getting a place in 15 member squad.

He slumped into the worn couch, eyes glued to the TV screen as the news anchor's voice filled the room. The list of selected players for the Cricket World Cup flashed on screen, and his heart skipped a beat. He scanned the names, his fingers instinctively crossing over his chest.

Mahendra Singh Dhoni...
Sachin Tendulkar...
Yuvraj Singh...
Harbhajan Singh...

His eyes scrolled down, hope dwindling with each passing second.

...and Virat Kohli.

The list ended. His name wasn't there.

A numbness crept over him, as if the air had been sucked out of the room. His mind went blank. The TV continued to blare, but he didn't hear a word. The silence within him was deafening.

He slowly leaned back, his gaze drifting to the floor. The cricket bat in the corner of the room, once a symbol of pride and ambition, now seemed like a relic of shattered dreams.

Disappointment and despair wrestled for dominance. His eyes stung, but tears refused to fall. The numbness had taken over, shielding him from the crushing reality.

He sat motionless, lost in the abyss of his unfulfilled aspirations.

His trance broke with the echo if his phone ringtone as the sound filled the silent room.

" Hey Ro, are you fine? " He heard one of his friends, Rohan say from the other side as soon as he received the call.

" Ummm...yeahh..what would happen to me? " He replied, gulping down the lump that formed in his throat.

" I know Ro, you can never miss not seeing the news and specially when the team for world cup is to be announced. You've been doing this since childhood. " The latter replied.

" Umm..yeahh..and why'd you think that this would affect me in any way?" Rohit's voice stammered as he spoke, his eyes becoming blurry.

" Don't even think I'm buying this Ro. That's lame and I guess I have seen you enough to tell that you're more than heartbroken. " Rohan's voice travelled across the phone.

" I.. I'll talk to you later, Rohan. Maa is calling me. " Rohit replied not able to control himself any more. His voice cracking.

" Hmm..take care, Ro. No need to stress and mourn over it. Focus on the future. " Rohan replied, understanding the way his friend might be feeling.

As soon as the call ended, Rohit sighed in relief. He didn't want to cry in front of anyone. He didn't knew want to show anyone that he's affected very much.

Taking his phone back with shivering hands, he just typed a tweet and slumped down on his bed as soon as he reached his room, wanting to quit the rest of the day.

_______________________

Back in Kohli's apartment, Virat too slumped down seeing his name there.
He was more than happy to say the least, but his happiness was short lived.

Realising there was no Rohit Sharma, in the team, Virat felt a wash of sadness pass over him. He knew Rohit deserved more than him to be there in the squad.

He got up to grab his phone as soon as possible and called Rohit. But to his disappointment, he heard what he didn't wanted, the phone was switched off.

He knew Rohit needed space in this time. And that was what he decdied to do. To give him space he needed badly.

Little did he knew, he'd regret it later.

Although he felt this surge of going and making his friend calm down and ask him not to overthink, but he decided against it. Giving him space is better option is all what reason he gave to his mind and heart that raced like anything.

Unable to control himself, Virat decided to drop a simple message, that said, ' I know it's hard Rohit. Be positive and this too shall pass. You're capable of much more and I belive in you, more than I do in myself. '

It must have been a text with some nicely framed words to others, but for Virat it was a feeling of contentment and satisfaction. He felt at peace that atleast once he did something and didn't  sat idly doing nothing fir his friend.

Looking at his phone for one last time, Virat decided to lay down and let the deep slumber take over his senses. Letting fate decide the future for he believed, ' what happens happens for the best. '
---------------------------------------------------------

834 words.

Updating after quite a long time I know and is a shirt one too...but I had my assignments unfinsihed, they still are but wanted to write this story for I did not want to forget the plot.

Anyways feel free to suggest what can I add more to this book and what I should write in the next part. I want some inspiration for continuing this book.....
Hope you guys liked it and hope I did with Rohit bhai's part, portraying his inner turmoil.

Okk then, signing off...
Your author.

Bye bye 👋 👋

Spread love❤️💫.