Shadows Beneath the Surface

The mission was over, but the weight of the day still hung heavily in the air as you and Hoshina made your way back to headquarters. The evening sun was setting, casting a deep amber glow over the city’s wreckage, turning the broken skyline into a haunting silhouette.

You couldn’t help but glance at Hoshina as you walked. His posture was as calm and composed as ever, but there was an unmistakable tension in his shoulders—something only someone who had spent as much time by his side as you had could notice. The battle had taken its toll, but there was something else gnawing at him.

"You're quiet," you observed, breaking the silence.

He glanced at you, his dark eyes momentarily flickering with something unreadable. "Just thinking."

"About the kaiju we faced?" you guessed, though you had a feeling there was more to it.

"Partly." His gaze shifted to the horizon, where the last light of day was fading. "It was stronger than expected. Something about its behavior was... off."

You frowned, recalling how the second kaiju had ambushed you. "It almost felt like they were coordinating."

Hoshina gave a small nod, his usual smirk absent. "That’s what worries me."

You fell into step beside him, the gravity of his words sinking in. The kaiju were unpredictable and dangerous enough on their own. If they were evolving, becoming smarter… it would change everything.

The rest of the walk back to headquarters was quiet, though not uncomfortable. It was a silence born of shared understanding, of knowing that battles weren’t just fought on the field, but also in the mind—in the careful planning and strategizing for what came next.

Once inside, the sterile, brightly lit hallways of the Defense Force headquarters felt worlds apart from the chaos outside. You both headed toward the debriefing room, but as you reached the door, Hoshina paused, his hand hovering over the handle.

"Before we go in," he said, turning to you, "there’s something I need to ask."

You raised an eyebrow, curiosity piqued. "What is it?"

He hesitated, a rare sight for someone usually so decisive. "Today… during the fight. You were reckless."

You blinked, taken aback. "Reckless? I was covering you."

"You were too focused on me," he corrected, his voice firm but not unkind. "You almost got yourself killed because of it."

A spark of indignation flared in your chest. "I was doing my job. We’re a team, Hoshina. I trust you to watch my back, and I was watching yours."

He stepped closer, and you could see the sharpness in his eyes soften slightly. "And I trust you. More than anyone else." The admission hung between you, heavy and unguarded. "But that’s why I can’t afford to lose you."

Your breath hitched at the sincerity in his tone, the weight of his words sinking in. For a moment, you could only stare at him, the air between you charged with something unspoken. He wasn’t just talking as your commanding officer. There was something deeper there—something personal.

"You won’t lose me," you said quietly, your voice softer now, less defensive. "Not as long as we’ve got each other’s backs."

His gaze lingered on yours for a long moment before he exhaled slowly, his usual stoic mask slipping back into place. "Just be careful," he said, the sternness in his tone tinged with something gentler. "You’re too important to risk."

Before you could respond, the door to the debriefing room slid open with a hiss, and the commander’s voice called both of your names. The moment passed, but the words lingered in your mind as you entered the room and faced the aftermath of the day’s mission.

---

Later that evening, after the debriefing and the formalities were over, you found yourself alone in the Defense Force’s underground training facility. It was late, and most of the other officers had gone home for the night, leaving the massive space eerily quiet.

You needed to clear your head.

Grabbing one of the training swords from the rack, you started working through a series of drills. The familiar movements helped steady your mind, but Hoshina’s words kept replaying in your head.

*You’re too important to risk.*

The implication behind them was impossible to ignore. Hoshina wasn’t one to show his emotions openly—he had always maintained a professional distance, even in the most intense moments of combat. But today, something had shifted.

You moved through the drills faster now, pushing your body to keep up with your swirling thoughts. Did Hoshina see you as more than just a subordinate? Did you want him to?

Your focus wavered for a split second, and your blade slipped. The sword clattered to the ground, its metallic echo bouncing off the walls.

"You’re pushing too hard."

You spun around, startled, only to find Hoshina standing a few feet away, his arms crossed over his chest. He wasn’t in his usual combat gear—just a simple black shirt and pants, but his presence was still commanding.

"Could say the same about you," you replied, trying to mask your surprise with a smirk.

He stepped closer, his eyes serious. "You’ve been on edge all night."

You bent down to pick up the sword, but before you could straighten, Hoshina was right in front of you, his hand gently closing around your wrist. The unexpected contact sent a jolt through you.

"Y/N…" His voice was low, almost a whisper. "I meant what I said earlier."

You met his gaze, your heart pounding. "About what?"

He didn’t answer right away. Instead, he stepped even closer, his hand still resting lightly on your wrist. The distance between you felt almost nonexistent now, the air thick with unspoken tension.

"I can’t afford to lose you," he repeated softly, his eyes searching yours. "Not just as a soldier. As…" He hesitated for the briefest moment before continuing. "As someone who matters to me."

The vulnerability in his words, in his eyes, caught you off guard. Hoshina wasn’t the type to let his guard down like this, but here he was, standing in front of you, raw and exposed.

For a long moment, neither of you spoke. The silence was heavy, but it wasn’t uncomfortable. It was filled with possibilities, with things you both had been avoiding for too long.

Finally, you reached up, gently placing your hand on his.

"You matter to me, too," you whispered.

And for the first time since you’d known him, Soshiro Hoshina smiled—not the cocky, confident smirk you were used to, but a real, genuine smile.