Chapter 13

I stood in front of a social worker my psychologist and Officer Franklin. I stood there arms crossed behind my back. I was getting evaluated by a new social worker and my psychologist.

"So far she has adjusted. One can tell she has a background but it isn't obvious what it is," Franklin told the Social worker and psychologist.

"Anything worth noting?" The psykologist asked.

"I've never had a team with higher moral or mutual trust. Usually, half would have tried to run away by now but no one in her squad has. Mind you they get the same regiment,"

"what exactly is the schedule?" The social worker asked. Franklin looked at me.

"Up at 6:00 run 8 kilometers with no gear. At 7:00 we go to the classes the military chose for us at 8:30 we get breakfast. At 9:00 we are training in active combat. At 10:30 We go to our personally chosen classes. At noon we do endurance or strength training depending on the day. At 14:00 we go to military classes. What happens after 15:30 depends on the day but usually, it is field training. At 19:00 we get dinner and at 19:30 we are given time for homework up until 21:30 where we are to take care of our hygiene and go to sleep," The psychologist just looked at me and asked.

"Is that legal?" Franklin cracked a smile.

"It is if the treatment lasts no more than 6 months. After that, they are fully trained and they get the evenings off. As you can guess the harsh treatment is not for the majority of people especially since officers are encouraged to beat new troops. Not a method that I am a fan of nor one I've had to use a lot," Franklin said. This was one of the reasons I respected Franklin. He can legally pull a gun on us but chooses not to.

"Any incidents involving Laila?" It was like I wasn't here.

"Other than her getting the squad to trauma dump on one another," Now they turned to me.

"Nothing major was shared and I don't know how it happened. I just know that a comrade and I were getting blasted for frankly doing as told and it evolved into that,"

"Comrade?" The psykoligist asked.

"It's not an official term. It's something Laila says. Laila Why?"

"We don't have all day but, the short story. The origin of the word is interesting, especially with its ties to Europe and the soviet union," I told him. None of them seemed amused.

"Seems to be adjusting very well. Now Laila there is one thing. You had your DNA registered over a year ago. Back when you disappeared we managed to find a biological relationship. More precisely your parents," Everything stopped. My breath my emotions thinking too. I just looked at her. Of course, I had biological parents but I've never really thought about them at all honestly. To me, they are just two strangers who exist.

"Oh," It was all I could say. I looked at them as they looked at me.

"Both are deceased. They died back when you were 5 months old and have left an inheritance that had already gone to other relatives," I couldn't care less about- wait maybe there was more information on spirs through that inheritance. Would I want that thought? That would take me out of the safety the military provided. It could give me straight to a fraction. Why now though?

"Why didn't you tell me while I was in the custody of the state?" I asked them.

"Your mental state," I nodded. Thinking relatives. That could either be a problem or a blessing.

"Has the biological relatives been informed?" I asked.

"yes but they were told that you were dead," The psychologist said. I looked at her.