The Date

Viviene sat behind the wheel of her silver Honda CR-V, a sleek and practical SUV that had been her trusted companion for years. Its leather seats were still in pristine condition despite the daily wear and tear of her busy life. The car's interior was neat and organized—a reflection of Viviene's need for control amidst the chaos of raising three kids on her own. The dashboard was clean, free of clutter, with a small lavender air freshener hanging from the rearview mirror, emitting a calming scent that usually helped ease her mind during long drives.

The soft glow of the dashboard lights illuminated the modern touch-screen display, showing her route to the restaurant and the time, which ticked by far too quickly for her liking. Everything in the car had its place: an umbrella neatly tucked in the side pocket, a travel-sized bottle of hand sanitizer in the cupholder, and a reusable shopping bag folded and stored in the center console. Even the kids' seats in the back were spotless, not a crumb or toy in sight—a small victory in her otherwise hectic life.

The CR-V had always been reliable, offering her both the space she needed for family life and the comfort she craved on the rare occasion she could drive alone. Its smooth, quiet ride usually provided a sense of calm, but tonight was different. As she navigated through the bustling city streets, Viviene couldn't shake the nerves tightening in her chest. The car's practicality felt at odds with the glamorous night ahead, adding another layer of tension to the anticipation swirling inside her.

Her fingers tightened on the steering wheel as she glanced at the GPS again, feeling the weight of the evening settle heavier on her shoulders with every passing mile.

Viviene's hands were slick with nervous sweat as she gripped the steering wheel, her knuckles white against the black leather. The sun had begun to set, casting a golden hue over the city streets, but she barely noticed. Her mind was too consumed with thoughts of the evening ahead.

She had been preparing for this moment all day, yet nothing could fully brace her for the flood of emotions overwhelming her. Every nerve in her body was tingling—half with excitement, half with dread she couldn't quite name. Her stomach was tied in knots, her pulse racing. She inhaled sharply as she glanced at her reflection in the rearview mirror. Her dark bob, usually low maintenance, had taken longer to style than she'd expected. Each strand had to fall just right, framing her face in a way that made her look both effortlessly put together and approachable. The makeup was perfect, too — subtle yet polished, designed to enhance her hazel eyes and add a bit of color to her cheeks.

Still, no amount of outward preparation could settle the storm of emotions swirling inside her.

She hadn't been on a date in years—since before her divorce, really. Since the day her ex-husband had walked out of their lives, disappearing overseas to avoid the mess he left behind, leaving her to pick up the pieces and raise their three children alone. For so long, romance had been something she put on hold, an impossible dream buried beneath the weight of responsibilities. And yet here she was—on her way to meet Regina.

But this wasn't just any first date.

It was her first date with Regina.

Regina Sinclair. The confident, charming chemist who had unexpectedly swept into Viviene's life and shaken it up in ways she hadn't anticipated. They'd met online, and their conversations—long, deep, and brimming with flirtatious banter—had quickly become the highlight of Viviene's days. Regina had a way of making her feel both intrigued and exposed, like she could see beneath the surface of Viviene's carefully composed exterior. Now, after weeks of late-night chats and heated messages, Viviene was finally going to meet her in person.

Regina Sinclair.

Even thinking about her name sent a thrill through Viviene's system. They had been talking for weeks now, chatting late into the night about everything and nothing. Regina's charm had been immediate, her quick wit and intelligence like a magnet. But what had really captivated Viviene was the way Regina made her feel—seen, heard, desired.