Playing Possum

Eiffel was getting used to their routine. What started out as paranoid sleepovers became a quiet comfort- for him at least. He doubted it meant as much to Minkowski.

For once, he woke up before her. Or rather, he woke up because of her. God, why did she have to twitch in her sleep?

He tried to keep his breath slow and even, squeezing his eyes shut tight. What the hell was she even doing in her dream, playing piano? The gentle tapping was just enough to set his nerves on edge and keep him on the verge of a giggle for.

Her fingers pressed into his sides, long nails leaving ticklish pinpricks in their wake. He couldn't help but violently twitch away, biting back a yelp. Then the nails began tracing his ribs and he gasped, trying to muffle the sound behind his hand. He tried to stay still so that he didn't wake her, but it proved to be an impossible task when he felt his hip on his other side being traced with agonizingly soft circles. He shook his head, arching his back and biting his hand when laughter began to spill free.

He had just wanted to sleep in a little, was that too much to ask? He couldn't fall back asleep even if he tried. And trust me, he'd rather be unconscious right now.

He turned over onto his stomach as gently and slowly as he could so he wouldn't wake the sleeping beast next to him. He was laying on his side when Minkowski shifted in her sleep and threw an arm around him, hugging him close.

He went completely still, afraid to move a muscle. She groans in her sleep and nuzzles into the back of his neck, and he quickly grabbed the pillow to muffle a snort. Her breath is slow and even, coming out in hot puffs of air against the back of his neck.

He was giggling now, scrunching his neck and burying his face into the thin cushion. He was trying to be as quiet as possible, but it was proving to be more difficult than he thought.

And then he was screaming.

Minkowski blew a raspberry right at the nape of his neck, sending him into hysterical laughter. His legs kicked out uselessly as he held the pillow tighter. He couldn't escape her grasp, and he decided to drill into his hips while she blew another raspberry. Eiffel cackled and scrunched his shoulders.

"Nohoho! Minkowski s-stohop!" he pleaded as he blindly reached down to pry her hands away. It was a pathetic attempt.

"Y'know, it's actually pretty thoughtful how hard you tried to stay still. I bet it was driving you nuts," she taunted, nuzzling closer to growl in his earl. The deep, gravely sound sent goosebumps down his arms, and he frantically tried to rub the feeling away from his ear.

"You knew?" he asked incredulously, forcing himself to choke down a shriek. Her thumbs her circling the hipbone, digging in just enough to send him up the wall. He bucked and writhed as he fought against her grasp. "You were ahahawake the whole dahamn tihihime!" he accused, only making her grin more smug.

"I didn't know you were ticklish Eiffel! Why didn't you tell me? This is perfect for morale, and now I won't have any problems making you do your work," she rambled, and he could feel his face flushing with embarrassment.

"What? Nohoho! You cahan't!"

"Actually, I can do whatever I deem necessary for the crew."

"Ohoho come ohon! You're just beheing mehehean!" he whined. "Have mercy!"

"Sorry Eiffel, that's not really up to code. Rule 633 of Pryce and Carter strictly states: "Mercy is such a 20th century value." I'm just trying to comply with the manual."

"Ohoho yeah? Well rule 634 says: it's still best to beheheg!"

"Oh? Is this you begging?" she taunted before the realization hit her. "Wait a second. Did you just quote the survival manual?" she asked, masking how much it impressed her by teasing him.

"NO! I refuse to memorize it!" he insisted. 

Minkowski sported a downright malicious grin, "Mhm," she hummed, tracing the shell of his ear. He snorted and scrunched his neck helplessly as a flood of giggles escaped his lips.

"Ohokay! Ohohokahay, lehet me goooo! Ihit's too damn early for thihihis!"

She only continued for a few seconds longer before finally releasing him from her evil, ticklish clutches.

"Asshole. I'll totally get you back for that, just fyi," he warned.

"Yeah, I'm really quaking in my boots."

"Eiffel scoffed, "I'm serious! You'll regret it!"

"Oh I'm sure I will," she played along. But when the time came, she knew she'd be just as giddy and nervous as Eiffel.