Chapter 4

The evening air was cool and crisp, the telltale sign that autumn had fully settled in. Ainsley walked slowly, her feet crunching against the fallen leaves that blanketed the sidewalk. The vibrant oranges, reds, and yellows swirled around her as the breeze gently nudged them from the trees. She loved fall the changing colors, the cool air brushing against her freckled skin, the way the world seemed to slow down. Her thick, fiery red hair, which was pulled into a loose braid, swayed with the wind, reflecting the colors of the leaves that scattered across her path.
Her thoughts drifted, momentarily losing herself in the peacefulness of the evening until she spotted a familiar figure up ahead. Her younger sister, Aurora, stood near a streetlight, talking to someone obscured by shadows. The sight of Aurora's darker auburn hair—a shade much richer than Ainsley's caught the last of the daylight, making it shine almost mahogany. Ainsley quickened her pace, her heart dropping as concern washed over her.
"Aurora!" Ainsley called, her voice cutting through the quiet evening. Her sister turned sharply, her green eyes so much like their mother's narrowing in annoyance. The person Aurora had been speaking to took a step back, then quickly disappeared into the shadows before Ainsley could get a good look.
Ainsley's breath hitched in frustration. "Who was that?" she demanded, crossing her arms as she stopped in front of her sister.
Aurora's face hardened, her posture stiffening defensively. "Why do you care?" she snapped. "It's none of your business."
Ainsley felt her irritation rise, her green eyes more muted than Aurora's flashing with concern. "None of my business?" she repeated, her voice incredulous. "Aurora, you're sixteen! You shouldn't be out here talking to some random guy. It's dangerous, and you know it."
Aurora scoffed, rolling her eyes. "He's not random. And you're not my mother, so stop trying to be."
Ainsley took a breath, trying to stay calm, but her patience was wearing thin. "I'm not trying to be your mother, but I am your sister, and I care about you."
Aurora's lip curled in disdain. "You're always trying to control everything! Just because your life is boring doesn't mean mine has to be."
Ainsley flinched. Aurora's words hit harder than she'd expected, but she tried not to let it show. "I'm just trying to make sure you're safe."
Aurora's eyes flashed dangerously. "Safe? What do you know about anything? You've never even had a boyfriend!" She turned and stormed toward the house, her long auburn hair swishing furiously behind her.
Ainsley stood frozen, the sting of Aurora's words sinking deep. She followed her sister into the house, her chest tight with both hurt and anger. "Aurora, you're acting ridiculous," Ainsley called as she stepped inside, shutting the door behind her. "You don't know what you're getting yourself into."
Their mother appeared from the kitchen, her brows furrowed in confusion. Her dark green eyes, much like Aurora's, darted between her two daughters. "What's going on here?" she asked, wiping her hands on a dish towel.
Aurora threw her hands up in exasperation. "Ainsley's trying to control me again! She won't let me live my life!"
"I'm not trying to control you, I'm trying to keep you from making mistakes," Ainsley argued, her own voice rising.
Aurora's expression twisted into something crueler, and she shot back, "What would you know about it? You don't even have a life. You've never had a boyfriend, so don't try to stop me from having one."
The words sliced through the air, cold and sharp. Ainsley froze, her breath catching in her throat. She could feel her face heat up, embarrassment and anger flooding her veins. She stared at Aurora, speechless.
Their mother's face shifted from confusion to shock, and she quickly stepped between the two sisters. "Aurora, that's enough," she said, her voice firm. "Go to your room. Now."
Aurora glared at both of them, then rolled her eyes dramatically. "You're both just jealous," she muttered under her breath as she stormed down the hallway. She disappeared into her room, slamming the door behind her.
Ainsley stood there, her heart pounding. She could still hear Aurora's words echoing in her mind. Her mother turned to her, her voice softer now. "Ainsley, honey, she didn't mean it."
But Ainsley could barely process her mother's words. Aurora's jab had hit her where it hurt most, exposing the vulnerability she had spent years trying to hide. She shook her head, her throat tight. "I just need some air," she mumbled, brushing past her mother and stepping out onto the small balcony.