Chapter 3

A Silent Connection

The soft afternoon light filtered through the curtains, casting warm, golden shadows across Manik’s room. It was the day of the family’s annual Pooja, an event that had always been a major celebration, filled with decorations, rituals, and family gathering. But Manik, for reasons he couldn't quite understand himself, found little joy in these occasions. As the house buzzed with excitement, laughter, and preparations downstairs, he chose to isolate himself in his room, pretending to be absorbed in something else. He sat on the edge of his bed, deep in thought, his fingers absentmindedly tracing patterns on the bedspread.

Downstairs, the scene was different. The family was busy adorning the living room with marigold garlands and colorful rangoli designs. Shona, as always, was an integral part of the festive preparations. But today, her energy was subdued. She moved through the day with quiet efficiency, helping with the decorations, but her mind was elsewhere. She had been avoiding Manik for the past few days, keeping a distance, and she was unsure how to explain it to him. Her first period had taken her by surprise, leaving her embarrassed and uncertain around him. In her mind, this was a subject too personal to discuss, and she feared that Manik, ever aloof and indifferent to emotions, wouldn't understand.

After some hesitation, Shona decided to go to Manik’s room. She had a task to perform — she had been assigned to help him get ready for the Pooja, as the family expected him to make an appearance despite his reluctance. Gathering her courage, she walked up the stairs and knocked lightly before entering his room.

Manik, seated on the edge of the bed, didn’t look up at first. He had sensed someone entering but was lost in his thoughts. Shona hesitated, but then gently approached him, holding the clothes she had picked out for him to wear to the Pooja.

“Manik, you need to get ready. Everyone is waiting,” she said softly, placing the clothes beside him.

Manik finally looked up, his eyes meeting hers briefly before turning away. “I don’t want to,” he muttered. “I don’t see the point in all this.”

Shona sighed, trying to maintain her composure. She had always known Manik to be indifferent towards family traditions, but this year felt different. She didn't know whether to blame her own emotional state or his increasing detachment from the world around him.

“You know you have to go, right? It’s for the family,” she insisted, her voice firmer this time.

Manik let out a frustrated breath. “Why do you even care, Shona? It’s just another meaningless tradition.”

That stung more than it should have. For Shona, family had always been important, and these traditions were part of the bond that kept them all together. But what hurt more was the unspoken distance between them in recent days. Her emotions bubbled to the surface, and she couldn't hold back any longer. Without thinking, she blurted out, “I wasn’t avoiding you because I wanted to, Manik. I was… I’m… it’s because of something you don’t understand.”

Manik’s expression softened for a moment, his brows furrowed in confusion. “What are you talking about?”

Shona swallowed hard. She hadn’t intended to tell him, but the words were out now. “My first period,” she said quietly, looking away as her face flushed with embarrassment.

Manik blinked, still not fully comprehending what that meant. To him, it seemed like something simple, something that didn’t warrant this emotional distance. He didn’t understand why she had been avoiding him for days over something like that. “I don’t see why that’s a big deal,” he said, his voice uncertain.