Chapter 7

A Twist of Fate

The days leading up to Manik's wedding felt like a whirlwind. Excitement buzzed through the air as final preparations were made, yet beneath it all lay a tension that Manik struggled to ignore. Despite his parents’ reservations about Janvi, they seemed willing to accept her, if only for his happiness. Little did he know, the looming disaster was about to unravel in ways he could never foresee.

Shona, on the other hand, was busy with her own success. Her novel, a heartfelt story intertwined with themes of love and loss, had finally been published. She felt a surge of pride as she held the first copy in her hands, a tangible manifestation of her hard work and dreams. However, the joy of her accomplishment was overshadowed by her worries about Manik’s impending marriage to Janvi.

As fate would have it, Shona’s colleagues planned a celebration at the hotel where the wedding was set to occur. This was a perfect opportunity for Shona to confront Manik and warn him about Janvi’s manipulative behavior. The whispers she had heard from hotel staff about Janvi's deceptive tactics regarding their relationship had ignited a fierce determination within her.

Shona attended the celebration, her heart racing as she spotted Manik across the room, a smile plastered on his face as he chatted with Janvi. She approached, rehearsing her words in her mind. This was her chance to intervene before it was too late.

“Manik, can we talk?” she said, her voice steady despite the turmoil inside her.

Manik turned, and for a brief moment, his eyes lit up with recognition. But then he glanced at Janvi, who was watching them with a mixture of curiosity and disdain. “Shona, this isn’t a good time,” he replied, a hint of annoyance creeping into his tone.

“Please, it’s important. I need to tell you something about Janvi,” she insisted, her heart pounding.

Janvi interjected, a sweet but insincere smile on her face. “Oh, Shona, are you still pining for Manik? That’s so sweet,” she said, her voice dripping with condescension.

Manik’s expression hardened as he looked between them. “Janvi, can we just talk for a second?”

“No! I think it’s best if you stay away from her,” Janvi said, wrapping her arm possessively around Manik’s waist.

Shona felt her heart sink. “I’m not trying to come between you two. I just want Manik to know the truth.”

Janvi’s eyes sparkled with a deceptive innocence. “The truth? What truth could you possibly have? That you’re jealous of our love? That you want him back?”

“Stop it, Janvi!” Manik snapped, frustration evident on his face. He turned to Shona, his voice rising in anger. “Why are you doing this? I thought we were past this!”

The sting of his words pierced through her. “I’m just trying to look out for you, Manik. Janvi isn’t who you think she is!”

“Then what do you want me to do, Shona?” he shouted, his patience wearing thin. “You want me to believe you over my fiancée? I can’t have you meddling in my life like this!”

Shona felt her breath hitch as his words cut deeper than she ever expected. “I just…” she faltered, hurt flashing across her face. “I just want you to be happy.”

“Then stop causing trouble! You’re just jealous, and it’s pathetic,” he said harshly before turning away, leaving Shona standing alone in a crowd of people.

Her heart shattered, the tears she had been holding back threatening to spill over. As she turned to leave, she felt a mix of despair and anger. How could he not see what Janvi was doing? This wasn’t just jealousy; it was about protecting him from a mistake that could ruin his life.