Twenty six | T H E T A P E

We all sat in the screening room once again. Thinking of ideas of what to do next. It's been an hour and we had no idea on how we would get John B out of jail while avoiding me going to jail. "I- I have an idea." Pope mutters.

"What?" Kie says, tired from all the talking we've been doing.

He sits up, "You remember how Limbrey wanted a key in exchange for the tape right?"

My eyes darted to Pope, "I'm sorry, Limbrey? My mother?"

"Yeah and her friend Redfield... who tried to kill me, they have a tape of Gavin saying that Rafe shot Peterkin." He nods.

"Of course she would." I roll my eyes, "What do you mean a key?"

"Denmark Tannys." JJ says. "Know anything about that?"

I shake my head, "No. I only know about a cross she wants so she can get healed. But since she has the tape I can get it back."

Pope looks to the floor, "That means Rafe and Ward would go to jail."

"Okay, so I'll go home and get it." I shrug that off and get into my car and driving. Finally I reach my estate. I took a deep breath, my hand trembling as I raised it to knock on the door.

Eight months had passed since I'd last seen my mother, and I wasn't sure what kind of reaction I'd get. I knocked, and the door swung open almost immediately.

My mother's eyes widened as she took in my appearance, and then she was upon me, wrapping me in a tight hug. But as she held me close, I felt a jolt of tension, a sudden awareness of the bump that separated us. Her body stiffened, and I knew she'd noticed.

She pulled back, her eyes scanning my face before dropping to my stomach. Her gasp was audible as she took in the undeniable evidence. Without a word, she grabbed my arm and pulled me inside, leading me to the living room. We sat down in silence, the only sound the ticking of the clock on the wall.

It was I who finally broke the silence, my voice firm. "Carla, I need that tape."

Her eyebrows shot up, a flash of annoyance crossing her face. "That is no way to talk to your mother."

I didn't flinch. "You're not my mother, not anymore," I said, my voice cold. "But you will give me that tape because, to you, I am still your daughter, and John B is a part of this family just as much as I, and it's the right thing to do."

I looked her straight in the eye, my gaze unwavering. She let out a heavy sigh, her expression skeptical. "Now you want to do the right things?"

I nodded, a small movement. "Yeah, Carla, I am." I took a deep breath, launching into the speech I'd rehearsed in my head a thousand times. "Mom, I'm pregnant, and I need to make things right for this baby. I know I've made mistakes, and I'm sorry. But please, I need your help. I need that tape to prove John B's innocence. He doesn't deserve to be in trouble because of me."

I kept talking, pouring out my heart, trying to reach the mother I once knew. "I know I've let you down, but I'm trying to make it right. Please, mom, help me."

She looked at me, her eyes searching, and for a moment, I thought I saw a glimmer of the mother I remembered. Then, with a heavy sigh, she stood up, her movements reluctant. She walked to a bookshelf, pulled out a small key, and retrieved the tape from a hidden compartment.

She handed it to me, her eyes avoiding mine. I took it, my fingers closing around it like a lifeline. "Thank you," I said, my voice barely above a whisper.

I turned and walked out the door,

The tape clutched tightly in my hand. I made my way to the Pogues, my heart heavy with emotion. As I handed the tape over to them, I felt upset that I'd be turning in Rafe. But I knew it was the right thing to do.