Best Brother

IN ANOTHER CITY AT THE HOSPITAL

The situation looked tense. Everyone present was going through a hard time.

It's been more than 24hrs but there was no sign of improvement in Rick. Doctors said that he has gone into COMA, and they can't say when he'll wake up.

After listening to the doctor everyone in the family was in pain.

Mrs. Brown went unconscious, and she was soon shifted to one of the rooms for a check-up.

Rose arrived in the city, she dropped her bag at the hotel and reached the hospital.

Reaching the VVIP floor, her heartbeat grew faster for an unknown reason. She felt strange. Thinking maybe it was because she was in an unknown place, she ignored the feeling and started walking inside.

Not having any idea where she should go, she asked the nurse, who was passing by her side......

"Hello, May I know where I can find Mr. Brown's family?"

"Yes, they are at the neurology department. Go straight and take the second left." The nurse 

explained

"Ohk, thank you"

She reached the place, but no one was there.

'Nurse told me they are here, but I can't find anyone, it's the neurology department but why it's empty' Rose thought.

Rose put her bag on the nearby bench and started to look here and there. There were glasses on both sides so that no one could see past them. Rose thought to wait for someone to arrive, so she sat at one of the benches.

Not long after, Mr. Brown entered the lobby and found Rose sitting.

"Rose, when did you arrive? Didn't Ray come to receive you?" asked Mr. Brown

Rose saw the man in front of her, who looked completely opposite to how she saw him when she first met him. He looked pale, his clothes were loose, his hair was undone, and he looked really disturbed and worried.

"No, uncle I just arrived a couple of minutes ago."

"How are you uncle? And your son?" Rose asked unsure of what to say

"I'm good, he is in COMA right now, but hopefully he'll wake up soon," he said in a low tone as if assuring himself.

Soon Ray arrived and found Rose talking to his dad.

"Rose, I'm sorry I didn't come to receive you. Mom was not well, I had to stay back with her" he said apologetically.

"It's fine, please worry about me. I'm here to be with you all and not to add up to your worries." 

"Where's your mom?" she asked

"She went unconscious and has been shifted to one of the rooms where a doctor was examining her. Come I'll take you to her" explained Ray

"I'll come with you two," said Ray's father

She followed behind him and soon they reached the room where his mom was.

Mrs. Brown was awake now and was lying in bed. She had an IV attached to the back of her left hand.

"Helen, how are you feeling now? Look who came to meet you?" Mr. Brown said Mrs. Brown looked at Rose and didn't recognize her. She looks at her husband with questioning eyes.

"She is Rose," he said

"Hello Ma'am, how are you?" Rose asked politely

Helen realized and a small smile appeared on her face. She called Rose closer for a hug.

Rose smiled and hugged her.

"I think you should rest. I'll be out if you need anything please tell me" Rose said giving the family some privacy.

"I'll come with you," Ray said and came out with Rose to accompany her

They came out of the room and went to stand on the nearby balcony.

Rose saw Ray who looked tired, his eyes were red due to lack of sleep.

"You should rest, you look drained," Rose said a bit concerned. She didn't love him, but she didn't hate him either. Her concern for him is like that for a friend.

Ray looked towards her and sighed.

"I can't until he's not okay I can not be at peace." He said referring to Rick

"He'll be fine, I'm sure." 'We will pray for him. Everything will be alright" She placed her hand on his, which was resting on the railing.

"I can't imagine my life without him, he is my everything. He is the best brother, a perfect son, and a great human being. When you meet him, you'll see how great he is" Ray said feeling emotional.

"I'm sure he is, I'll meet him soon. Can I see him?" Rose asked

"You can see him in some time. For now, the doctors are running some tests, after that, we can see him"

"I hope the tests are positive," said Rose praying in her heart

"Thank you Rose" Ray said

"What???" Rose questioned

"Thank you, for coming here to be with my family in this tough time, I hope everything soon goes back to normal," Ray said feeling touched.

"It's my pleasure to be here. Your Mom and Dad are close to my family and since they couldn't come, I am happy to be here on their behalf." Rose said thinking Ray might be thinking in some other way.

She doesn't want to give him false hope while she is still waiting for Rick.

Ray nodded his head.

"I'll be back; you can sit with Mom." Ray excused

"Sure," Rose said and went to the room where his mom was resting.

Helen saw Rose and called her to sit beside her. Rose felt a little awkward since it was her first time meeting her.

Rose sat beside Helen not knowing what to say.

"Should I bring something for you to eat?" Rose asked

"No, no just sit here with me. I'm glad you came here. They both are worried, and I added to their burden (she referred to her husband and Ray). With you here, they will have at least one thing less to worry about." said Helen feeling helpless

"You shouldn't say that, they know it's hard for you to see your son in this condition, they are just concerned about you. Please stay strong everything will be fine."

"You are such a good person, I'm glad you'll soon become our family," Helen said out of the blue. The color of Rose's face drained, leaving her speechless.

Helen was ready to say something more when suddenly Rose's phone started ringing. 

"It's Mom, I'll be back" Rose excused herself and left the room.