Too Close

Third Person's P.O.V

"Ack, my back hurts." Baks stretched his limbs. He was aching all over. Even though he had leg room, he was still cooped up on the passenger's seat. He was quite tall - even taller than Maize.
"Who was it that picked this faraway place?" Jaden asked, stretching her limbs as well. She was the tallest of the girls, and unlike Baks, she had no leg room.
"Shhh. We should be happy that this place is free for us to use."
"What do you mean it's free?" Solemn finally spoke up after two hours of complete silence.
"My uncle lent it to me, saying that a house shouldn't be empty all the time." Baks was bragging to his friends that it was from someone he knew.

Maize looked at the villa, inspecting it from the roof to the pavement. Once he was satisfied, he turned around and grabbed the bags from the trunk and started loading them inside.

"Let me help!" Baks said and grabbed the leftover bags and followed Maize inside.

After a few minutes, everyone received a text message saying that they have free time until dinner.

"Who'll cook dinner though?" Solemn asks.
"Beats me. We should go look around. The ocean looks so nice." Nine walked towards the orange sea.

Fascinated by how the sunset was affecting the hue of the sea, Solemn quickly forgot about her question and walked towards the sea. The breeze was salty, much to her liking. She smiled. It has been so long since she felt so open.

"Are you sure you've moved on?" Rhea stood beside Solemn. Both of them were looking at the vast sea, listening to the waves and to their friends' distant laughter.
"Hmm?"

Both of them stood still, taking in the beauty of nature. The wind caressed their supple skin, gently waving their hair. It was becoming a bit cold as evening was fast approaching.

"I don't think he's moved on too." Solemn took a quick side glance at Rhea then smiled a bit. A smile of great sadness, and a bit of hope that it was that.

But considering that three years have passed, Solemn doesn't think that Maize didn't find a woman. The media didn't say anything, but Maize was great at hiding things and keeping secrets. Solemn shrugged off the idea that Maize still loved her. It was too much of a fairy tale for her to believe in.

"Don't even start, Rhea. We've ended things, and the past will remain the past." Rhea wasn't sure how to battle her words, but she kept quiet. There was no place for her to meddle. She was merely a spectator of her friend's love life, thus she remained quiet.
"Come on. I think we should help them make dinner."
"Yes, you're right. Anyway, isn't Maize a little too handsome?" Rhea chuckled which made her earn a glare from Solemn.
"He was always handsome."

They started walking back to the house. Laine, Nine and Jaden saw Solemn and Rhea walking back and followed them.

"That's true. He was always receiving stares from people."
"Yeah," Solemn chuckled upon remembering the good old days that they were still going to school together.
"Where are you going?" asked Jaden who finally caught up first.
"Inside. We thought we'd help around." Rhea answered with a big smile, making Jaden purse her lips.

They made their way inside and were surprised to see Baks helping out Maize. Maize was cooking and so in tune with what he was doing that he didn't notice them.

Maize was sweating. The heat of the pan was too hot for the cool evening to fight. His sweat trickled down from the side of his forehead to his prominent jawline, making Solemn stare.

"I missed being inside you."
"Nhhnnm,"

Solemn couldn't help but feel her face heat up when she remembered their steamy nights together. She bit her lip and walked towards Baks.

"I was wondering who was doing all the cooking since everyone was on the beach." Maize's ears popped when he heard Solemn's voice, igniting another hot fire inside him that continued to burn as seconds passed by when he was with Solemn.
"Maize said he'd cook for everyone as sorry for skipping the past years of our getaway." Baks answered and continued chopping the carrots, enjoying his time.
"I see. We're here to help." Solemn said with a smile.
"Yeah, and I've always wanted to cook with you guys." Rhea was hyped whilst looking around.

They didn't have the chance to cook before because everyone wanted to do things. Now that everyone was too preoccupied with the beach, they can finally have their turn.

"What do we need to do?" Laine asked.
"Can you wash the vegetables for me? And also chop the lemons? I'll wash the fish, so you guys won't have to worry about the smell." Maize instructed them carefully, not wanting to sound rude, with his back still turned to them.
"Absolutely." Nine said and started getting into it.
"I have a different task for Solemn though." Maize finally turned around and with a smirk on his face.
"What now?" Solemn asked with an irritated voice. The others were watching, waiting for something to happen.

Could this be the start of their new phase together? Or will this bring an end to what hasn't even started yet? Everyone was eager for something to happen.

"Cook beside me. Fry the vegetables." Maize knows fully that Solemn didn't like it when the oil hit her skin, but she had already said that she was adamant on learning how to cook.
"Fine." Solemn grumbled under her voice and grabbed the pan that Maize pointed at.

Maize sighed and grabbed an apron and put it on her, completing the preparation by tying the strings behind her. Solemn was shocked and couldn't move an inch. It felt like they were back to being lovers. The others were surprised as well and made them say that Maize was really still in love with Solemn.