Chapter 5: A Friend in Need

This chapter highlights Rohit's struggle with isolation from his teammates. It emphasizes the importance of friendship and support during challenging times, showcasing Hardik's support to  Rohit. The chapter reflects the emotional complexities of navigating betrayal, doubt, and ultimately, the power of camaraderie as Rohit begins to regain his sense of self amid the chaos.

The days blurred into one another, each filled with a whirlwind of emotions that left Rohit Sharma feeling drained. The media frenzy continued unabated, but even worse was the silence from his teammates. His phone was still buzzing with notifications, but now, it was mostly filled with messages of concern from fans and well-wishers, and the occasional supportive call from family. Yet, the absence of his cricketing family weighed heavily on him.

It was a chilly morning when Rohit finally decided to step out of his house. He needed to clear his head, to regain some semblance of normalcy in the midst of the chaos. As he drove through the familiar streets of Mumbai, he couldn't help but notice the glances he received. People recognized him; some looked sympathetic, while others whispered among themselves, casting suspicious glances his way.

Rohit parked near Marine Drive, a place that had always offered him solace. He stepped out, taking a deep breath of the salty air. The iconic view of the Arabian Sea had always rejuvenated him, and today, it felt like a desperate attempt to reclaim a piece of himself. He wandered along the promenade, his mind racing with thoughts of the investigation, his teammates, and the media's relentless scrutiny.

As he walked, he heard a familiar voice call out, "Rohit!" He turned to see Hardik Pandya jogging toward him, a look of concern etched on his face. Relief washed over him—at least someone from the team still cared.

"Hey, man," Hardik said, stopping beside him, panting slightly. "I've been trying to reach you. What's going on?"

Rohit forced a smile, but it felt strained. "You know how it is. Just dealing with the fallout from all this."

Hardik frowned, clearly unsettled. "Look, I don't know what to believe, but I know you. You've always been a straight shooter. I just want to know if you're okay."

Rohit appreciated the sentiment, but the doubts still lingered in his mind. "I'm fine, Hardik. Just... trying to process everything. It's hard to focus on cricket when your character is under attack."

"Tell me about it," Hardik said, crossing his arms. "I can't imagine what you're going through. The media is savage. But we need to stick together. The team should be backing you."

"That's what I thought too," Rohit replied, his voice heavy with disappointment. "But I feel like I've been abandoned. No one is reaching out. It's like they're afraid to be associated with me."

Hardik's brow furrowed. "That's ridiculous! You're our captain, Rohit. We've fought through tougher times together. This is just noise."

"Noise?" Rohit scoffed, the frustration bubbling up. "This is my reputation on the line. People I've played with for years are keeping their distance like I'm some kind of pariah."

Hardik stepped closer, his tone serious. "Listen, I know Virat and the others are feeling the pressure too. But if you need someone to stand by you, I'm here. I believe you."

Rohit felt a flicker of gratitude. "Thanks, Hardik. It means a lot, really. But I just wish more guys would step up. It feels like everyone is waiting to see what happens next."

"Let's change that," Hardik said, determination in his eyes. "How about we call a team meeting? Just to clear the air, to show that we're united? We can't let the media divide us."

Rohit pondered for a moment. A team meeting could help. It could serve as a platform for them to rally around him, to confront the rumors head-on. But the fear of further alienation lingered in his mind.

"Do you think they'll actually show up?" Rohit asked.

"Absolutely," Hardik replied confidently. "If anyone can pull them together, it's you. But they need to see that you're standing strong. You have to lead by example."

After some back-and-forth, Rohit finally agreed. He knew he needed the support, and Hardik was right; he had to show his teammates that he was ready to fight for his innocence. With a plan in place, they began to message the team, urging everyone to meet that evening at the practice facility.

As they walked back to the car, a sense of renewed purpose filled Rohit. He realized that perhaps he wasn't as alone as he had thought. Hardik's unwavering support rekindled a flicker of hope, one that he desperately needed in this dark time.

Later that evening, the practice facility was quieter than usual. Rohit arrived early, pacing the ground as he waited for his teammates to arrive. Doubts began to creep back in—what if they didn't show? What if they still held suspicions about him? But as the minutes ticked by, players started to trickle in, looking uncertain but willing to show up.

Hardik was the first to break the ice. "Hey, everyone! Thanks for coming," he called out, clapping his hands to gather attention.

The players gathered around, a mix of familiar faces—some smiling, others looking wary. Rohit felt the weight of their gazes, each one laced with unspoken thoughts.

"Rohit wanted to talk to you guys about everything that's been happening," Hardik continued, glancing at Rohit with a reassuring nod.

Rohit stepped forward, heart racing. "Thanks for coming, everyone. I know things have been tough lately, and the media has been relentless. I want to set the record straight—I'm innocent. These allegations are baseless, and I'm cooperating fully with the BCCI investigation."

A murmur of conversation erupted among the players. Some nodded in understanding, while others exchanged glances, uncertainty lingering in the air. Rohit continued, trying to project confidence. "I know this situation has put everyone in a difficult position. But we've always been a team that stands together, through thick and thin. I need your support now more than ever."

Virat Kohli, who had been silent in the corner, stepped forward. His expression was serious, but there was a flicker of something in his eyes—an acknowledgment of Rohit's plea. "I know this is hard for all of us, and u might be innocent but we can't ignore the proofs ans also BCCI never launches investigation without any reason."

These words were a thunderclap to Hardik. He never thought Virat could say something like this.

He saw Rohit was not in position to continue so he intervened saying, "Virat how can u doubt Rohit, he had done so much for indian cricket!!!"

But nobody listened and they dispersed.

The meeting ended on a horrible note. But Hardik stood there and told Rohit that he is always there with him.

This gave him courage to fight back. He thought that with Hardik by his side, he was ready to face whatever came next. Together, they would stand against the storm, united by their shared love for cricket and their bond as teammates.

But as Rohit drove home that night, he couldn't shake the lingering doubts. The investigation was still looming, and the media would continue to spin their narratives. Would their support hold strong when the pressure intensified? Only time would tell.

For now, Rohit held onto the belief that he was not alone. With his friend (Hardik) by his side, he felt a flicker of hope—something he hadn't felt in days.

The fight was far from over, but for the first time in a while, he felt ready to face it.

Hope u like it!!!

Positive criticism is accepted!!!

Do vote and comment!!!