12

“Boss, we found another body.” Lee informed Toru – who was kneading his temple from the persistent headache that he got after he came back from Morgan Academy.

“Where?” He suddenly felt very tired.

Their trip to the Morgan Academy was proven to be a bust since everyone was tight-lipped and no useful information was gained. The false fire alarm only added to his exhaustion, and now this.

“Right on the alley near the Morgan Academy. It was hidden underneath the trash pile but some students stumbled upon it when they planned to relieve themselves from all the drinks they had after the fire and slipped from the blood.”

“Did you ask them if they saw anything or anyone suspicious?”

“Well… they’re pretty intoxicated, and they were quite scared when they saw the body.” Lee shrugged as he took out the crime scene photos and gave it to Toru.

The photos were gruesome to say the least.

There was fresh blood all over the skinless body – and it looked like it had been done by someone familiar with the knife.

“Could be a butcher or a surgeon.”

Toru heard the familiar voice behind him and he knew that it was Geraldine from her perfume.

“Is that your formal opinion, Ger?” He asked her and Geraldine shrugged.

“Well, we should go to the morgue to know better, but in my opinion, the body was flayed by someone who’s familiar with sharp objects.”

“We also found this on the body, Boss. I think the killer was surprised and left the scene in a hurry, and they probably dropped this on their way out.” Iseul gave Toru a plastic evidence bag containing the bloody special bracelet with the symbol ★ for Stellaris – presently the hottest club for the youngsters.

Apparently the club was located near the Morgan Academy and their students often went there to drink or to hook up.

“But then again, this was probably left by other people, although it’s highly improbable since it was right on top of the body.” Iseul continued.

“I think we should check Stellaris. Just in case.” Lee offered his opinion. “I can go in if you don’t want to, Boss. I know you hate crowds.”

Toru was thinking about it for another minute and then he made a decision.

“We will all go. Tonight.”

Stellaris.

The place was surprisingly very modern, clean, and tasteful. It was more like a high-end social club rather than the stereotypical rowdy nightclub that Toru had in mind – not that he often visited any nightclub before. To him, they were just a place to indulge in weaknesses and Toru didn’t like to indulge in anything other than his job.

When he entered the door, he was glad that he wore his freshly pressed black shirt with open collar and rolled up sleeves with dark jeans and his formal shoes because the bouncer gave him a once over before he let him in.

He also saw the others wore similar clothes to his with their pricey watch and branded accessories that would cost him a whole year of paycheck.

But rather than the glitz and glam around him, his eyes stopped at one figure who stood alone in the middle of the floor with a flute of champagne in her hand.

She was wearing a short navy dress with long sleeves and open back, while her long and luscious dark hair was pinned sideway. She looked expensive and unapproachable, and when she turned around, Toru felt like he was struck by lightning.

The woman was beautiful beyond words, and when she looked directly at him with her heterochromia eyes, he felt like the world had stopped turning and everything became silent.

This was the first time he had ever felt like this.

When he was engaged to be married to his childhood sweetheart, he didn’t feel this kind of electricity between them. Maybe it was because they were together since they were in high school and everyone had expected them to get married and have a family as the next step. And when he lost her, he just didn’t bother to look beyond one-night stands.

But this…

He never thought that his long-thought-dead heart would beat like crazy, just from seeing a beautiful stranger in a crowd.

Toru was about to approach her when his communication device beeped, and he could hear Lee’s voice from it.

“We’re right outside, boss.” He sounded sulky. “Personally, I’d say that I’m the better choice to get into the building rather than you. People will run away if you keep doing your frowning thing, boss.”

Toru ignored him and turned off the comm, but when he looked back at the woman, she had disappeared.