EIGHT

Eight

My heart skipped a beat and I experienced a rush of anticipation as the train squeaked to a stop. I took a deep breath as I stepped onto the platform and noticed the well-known sights and sounds of El Viejo. As I set foot in El Viejo, I could feel the nostalgia in the air, as though it was calling me home.

The cobblestone streets extended in front of me, lined with quaint, old buildings embellished with vibrant bougainvillea. The sweet aroma of freshly baked bread from the surrounding cafes blended with the far-off murmur of laughter and music. It was like a warm embrace. Little did I know that my life would soon take an unexpected turn, hidden among the ruins of long-gone memories and the hope of fresh starts.

I had the impression that this charming little town was the intended destination for me, and this feeling persisted as I strolled around. My heart raced with excitement as I carried my backpack over my shoulder. I felt strangely at ease, as if I had finally found my place in the world, despite the fact that I didn’t know a soul.

Lost in the nostalgia of the moment, I barely noticed the approach of a stranger until his voice broke through my reverie.

"Hello? I haven't seen you around before."

Turning to face the source, I was met with the gaze of a stranger, his presence exuding an air of confidence and intrigue. A tall, fit man with a friendly smile and a relaxed demeanor. He was leaning against the entrance of a charming café, the same one I had been admiring.

"Is that so?" I replied, trying to hide my surprise at being noticed.

"Yeah, you seem like you’re new here," he said. "The name’s Kairo. This is my café, just opened recently. You should come in and check it out."

His offer was tempting. The café looked cozy and inviting, and I was starting to feel the weight of my backpack.

"Thanks, but I’m actually just exploring the town," I said. "I’m looking for a place to stay."

Kairo raised an eyebrow, glancing at my backpack. "You’re carrying quite a load. Need any help with that?"

"Oh, no, I’m fine," I said, though the weight was starting to get to me. "I’m just trying to get a feel for the town."

"Well, if you need any recommendations or help finding a place, I can point you in the right direction," he offered. "Or you could just come inside, sit down, and relax for a bit. We can chat."

I hesitated for a moment. he seemed genuinely friendly, and the idea of sitting down sounded appealing.

"Alright, why not? I could use a break," I said, heading into the café.

Celestial Sips Cafe, that is the name of it. Inside, the café was even more charming than I’d imagined. The scent of fresh coffee and pastries filled the air, and the soft lighting created a warm ambiance.

His cheeks flushed a little and he said, "Oh! I forgot to introduce myself earlier, hehe. I'm Kairo Javier Vargas, KJ for short. You can call me whatever you prefer, if you'd like."

"You have a unique name," I said, interrupting our cozy silence.

Kairo laughed softly, his smile slightly shy of shyness. "I do get that a lot. What's yours, by the way? If you wouldn't mind me asking."

I couldn't help but grin at his reserved attitude. I answered, "Luna Celestine Adler. They called me by that name."

"Said to you?" Kairo asked with obvious curiosity in his voice.

I gave a serious nod.

"I apologize for asking too much. Let's take a seat for a bit."

I took a seat at one of the small tables near the window. As he pulled out a chair for me, I said, "Thank you," with gratitude.