... On a Poor Girl Like Me pt. 2

*** Dallas, June 1977 ***

"Sarah Barhere?" a young woman in a nurses outfit shouted through the room. She was confusedly checking her clipboard as nobody stood up.

"Miss Sarah Barhere would be up next?" Christine almost didn't react but as she realised nobody else did she remembered it was actually her that was called. She had made the doctors appointment under her usual alias when traveling because Christine McVie would be drawing too much attention. Christine apologised for the delay and followed the young nurse into the doctors office. She'd placed herself in a brown leather chair as the nurse had suggested, nervously waiting for the gynaecologist to arrive. She had always been on edge before any doctors visit, but at least with her obgyn in LA she knew exactly what to expect. This particular doctor however had been recommended by the manager of the hotel they were staying at, as it was the one his wife was going to as well. All Chris knew was that it was a woman and that she was supposed to be great. Not much later the female doctor had entered the room. Much to Chris' surprise she was about her own age, thick black hair were tied to a ponytail on the back of her head. In contrast to her gynecologist in LA who was always very quiet and easygoing, Dr. Langston had an upbeat swing in her steps.

"So, Miss Barhere is it.." she hadn't even looked up from the chart in her hand only looking at Chris as she was already right in front of her directing a hand towards her. Christine got up from the chair ready to shake it as the woman's eyes shot wide open. Like a pair of dark marbles they seemed to almost fall out of their sockets.

"Is everything ...alright?" Christine asked weirdly, as usually she was the one being asked that question.

"You are Christine McVie aren't you?" she suddenly blurted out, checking and double checking the chart in front of her. Christine was stunned, not really knowing what to make of this situation.

"I am so sorry. This is so unprofessional. But I'm a huge fan. I ... I was at your concert yesterday, so I can't just pretend I don't know who you are..." the young doctor's face turned red as a cherry. Chris couldn't help but laugh.

"It's okay, really. How did you like the concert?" Chris was flattered in a way and thought this to be the obvious question to ask.

"Oh you guys were ... off the charts!! I loved it!" doctor Langston was beaming.

"Thank you. We enjoyed it too, you were a great audience." Chris liked the conversation, but now it felt even weirder shifting the topic to why she actually came here. Dr. Langston soon seemed to realise the same thing.

"I ... I didn't even know you were pregnant." she added self consciously.

"Yeah, that was kind of the point..." Chris smiled weakly, her bump now clearly visible in the blouse she was wearing.

"Of course. This is obviously strictly confidential. Again, I do apologise for having been so unprofessional at first, I'm usually not like that!" the woman talked really fast, something Chris had noticed in people when they got star struck with her.

"It's really okay." Chris assured her. She found herself really drawn to the woman, finding her positively refreshing.

"Alright Mrs. Mc ... I mean Miss Barhere?" she got confused now embarrassedly biting her lip. "What do I call you now?" Dr. Langston added miserably.

"Why don't you just call me Christine...?" Chris responded putting the doctor at ease, softly smiling at her.

"Alright..." she breathed relievedly. "But then you must call me Olivia. I insist." Dr. Langston offered. Christine found it strange vowing to just avoid calling her anything, still she nodded in agreement.