Chapter Two

1828

Aarav had been travelling for weeks. The Queen had instructed him to handle diplomatic matters in regards to the trade of arms and gold with the kingdom of Vyara.

At last he would return home. He had to return home because Nyssa would debut into society. He had to be there for two very important reasons. The first being that it was his duty as her only male family- he counted as family- to ensure that all went well and that she found a respectable suitor to marry.

And of course, he never forgot the promise they made to each other long ago: her first dance was his. He couldn't miss that for anything in the world.

He hadn't seen Nyssa in seven years. Not properly anyway. He had always been busy managing affairs in both households as Ellias had no male relatives. Aarav had managed the impossible. He had convinced the Queen to let Dorothea keep her home and title on the condition that he would ensure that the estate ran successfully.

Upon her death, the title and land could be given to someone else. Although not related by blood, Aarav stepped in as the male relative to take matters into his own hands. At the ripe age of sixteen he had started managing his father's affairs and Ellias’s. It was not too difficult a task as both men ran their estates well. His duty was to ensure things remained that way.

Now he had one more duty to fulfil: Nyssa’s marriage. He hoped that he would make her father proud. That he would make all of them proud. Nyssa had always been their princess. He had to find her a man who would see her just as precious as they did if not more.

Nyssa dreaded her debut into society. Her mother was too excited. Florentina just told her to smile pleasantly and let the men do most of the talking. They liked talking anyway.

“...and of course when he kissed her hand she swooned! Now they're married. A love match!” Faustina's long forgotten voice trailed off in the background. 

Her friend, Faustina, had been fostered upon the marriage mart a year earlier. She was yet to marry. She was beautiful, of course, but stumbled upon her words whenever a gentleman was near. She always told Nyssa that she wished she had her bold nature. Nyssa could talk to anyone.

Shaking her head, Nyssa flipped the page of her book to start the next chapter.“It seems dreadful. Boring even,” she commented. 

“What?” Faustina asked.

“Balls. Society. All of it. I don't think people swoon anyway. It doesn't make sense. Why would you suddenly lose all wit about you because a man affects you so much? With what? His words? They barely say anything of note.”

“With his looks, of course!” Faustina said.

Nyssa scoffed. “I highly doubt any man looks so handsome he should alter one's cognitive function.”

“I'll pretend I know what that means but anyway, you should agree upon the matter. Mamas have been talking. Even my mama has been saying it!”

Nyssa feigned interest but failed. "Oh dear, I'm intrigued,” she said drily.

“It's about Aarav.”

That made her look up. “What about him?” she asked.

“He's back. He's hardly ever here and when he is, no one ever sees him. And hear this, Nyssa, he's dreadfully handsome. He didn't say a word to Cordelia-merely passed by her- and she swooned! Aarav has always been a good looking fellow but I'm afraid age has outdone him. He's a sight to behold!” Faustina gushed.

With her book abandoned, all interest turned to Faustina. “He's back, you say? That fool. Didn't even write to me to tell me he was coming back. Though it was obvious. He wouldn't miss my debut,” Nyssa said.