Chapter Six

You open your eyes to see yourself standing in a pasture of grey grass that sways in the wind from the east. You look all around to only see rolling hills for miles. The only thing that catches your eyes is a sign right in front of you. You begin to notice that you woke up on a dirt path that was dark and pale, paler than the dead men. You take your first steps in this new world. The air is soft but has a foul scent that, for now, does not bother you. You move forward with ease, feeling only the cold breeze on your trousers and the darkened path that is cold to the touch, even if you have both of your
shoes on your feet. You continue on your way, moving forward towards the sign. Once in sight of it, you notice that there is something seemingly attached to the sign. It was a man, well, the skeleton of a man fallen on the sign in an arched position, pointing where the sign pointed towards. The sight would have dissolved a normal man's courage, but you have seen things even worse than a
skeleton attached to an old wooden sign, "Sigh, looks like I will have to worry about this body covering the sign." Your voice is in annoyance, and you soon grab the body and toss it onto the pale grass. It cracks with a terrible sound and bent into unnatural formations. You look at the sign. Its words faded around the edges, but the message was loud and clear, 'Brookland.' You look at the word in shock, for that was the farm land area you grew up in. "My oh my, I have never seen this before! I have not been back there since -" You stop, the thoughts rush back into your head.
The screams, the gunshots, and a falling body. You move back, frightened for a moment at the memories that place brought you. But your curiosity gets through your frightened state, and you are filled with courage to continue on the path, so you make your first step into your old memories.

The path continues on for many paces and seems to go on forever, and the same grassy hills are seen for most of your walk. The stroll is quiet, with only your steps and the blowing wind keeping you steady. The path stretches straight in front of you, and sometimes curves left to right. You look around the surrounding area. There are no animals in sight, not even a bird in the air, and no other flora except for the pale grass swaying in the wind. You look up into the sky. It is filled with grey clouds that shine with the little rays of sunlight that try to break through them. The whole place is noiseless, and all pale to the touch, with the air being foul and cool on your face. You look on, and then suddenly see a tree on your left standing still with its dark, pale leaves swaying softly through the wind, and its pale bark darkened with cracks in it showing a lifeless void with only the black hew of night in it. You look through the leaves to see a figure of a bird in it, and it soonly crows a call of only sorrow, distress, and stillness. You continue to look as the crow takes off, with its wings flapping with the swiftest of movements. Its feathers dark as the stary night, and its eyes glowing in a luminous glow of yellow. You are then reminded of Ystävä's description of his fellow company, and then remember, 'Is Ystävä actually who he says he is, or is he what Smith says he is?' Thougts run inside your mind, and you ponder it all. Your small friendship with Ystävä seemed greatly nice to have at the time, but now, you start to question his methods and his words that almost now seem to be empty. You turn around and continue on your way, no longer looking at the pale tree.
You see towards your sides as more pale trees suddenly appear without a cause, as if they just suddenly appear out of thin air. They keep on appearing, covering the path like one in a forest, and darken the sky from above so that not even the strongest of light can shine through. You look around to see only the trunks of the grey trees and the darkness of the cracks in them.
Suddenly, you see an opening up ahead with a pale light shining from it. You rush towards it to get a better look, and what you see puts memories in your head. You see a field of grass that was now greener than ever, and the sky's pale look changed into a blue scene as you remembered from your childhood. In the center of this field, a house of white wood stands alone with only a stable on its right side. You look at it all, staring at the details of the wooden walls and the windows lined with white beams and a roof with shingles of the waves of a grey sea. You here a creacking sound as the door of the house opens, and out comes a man and a woman, the woman carrying a baby in her arms. The man has a coat of your own on, and the woman is wearing a normal dress with a white blouse and has brown hair that moves softly in the wind. The woman puts a finger at the baby, letting it play around with it, as she herself smiles with the newly shining sun brightening up her face, "Welcome to the outside world, my dear love!" Her voice is sweet and kind with it being lovelier than the voice of an angel. You sigh, remembering this very moment as this woman was your mother, and the man, your father.