CHAPTER 1: NEW SCHOOL, NEW BEGINNING

The morning light filtered through the curtains of my new bedroom, casting gentle patterns on the walls. I blinked slowly, my eyelids were heavy, but the soft glow forced me into waking. As I sat up, the unfamiliar space greeted me like an eager stranger. Everything felt strange-the scent of new paint mingling with the faint aroma of blooming flowers from the vase on my dresser, the soft chirping of birds drifting through the window, and the persistent rustling of leaves in the breeze that danced with the wind. I lazily glanced at the clock on my nightstand-it read 5:45 a.m.

Since when did mom enter my bedroom and crack the window slightly? It's only 5:45 a.m.!

Of course, she was already up. Mom's always been an early bird, buzzing around the house before anyone else is even thinking about breakfast. And today? She's probably more excited about my first day at school than I am. I could picture her bustling around with that endless energy of hers, like she's the one starting over at a new school.

Urghhh did mom even tired? She's been unpacking the house since dawn for a week! I can't keep up with her energy.

Flashback

A week before starting school, our family was bustling with the chaos of moving into our new house. Before unpacking, we decided to paint the house first. We gathered supplies-brushes, rollers, and cans of bright paint. My parents debated colors while I excitedly suggested hues, hoping for something minimal and cozy. We started with the living room, ended with mine.

Boxes were piled high in every room, and the air was filled with the sounds of tape being ripped and furniture being shifted. My mother was on the phone, coordinating deliveries, while my father assembled shelves, frustration creeping into his voice whenever a piece didn't fit. I wandered from room to room, trying to decide where to place my things, but the overwhelming disarray made it hard to focus.

Yesterday, as we finally began to settle in, there was an unexpected knock on the door. I opened it to find a kindly old lady standing there, her silver hair neatly tied back and a warm smile spreading across her face. In her hands, she held a basket filled with vibrant fresh flowers.

"Welcome to the neighborhood!" she exclaimed, her voice cheerful and inviting. "I brought these for you. It's a little something to help you feel at home."

End of flashback

My gaze wandered to the vase on the dresser. The vibrant flowers the old lady had brought stood out even it's been days. Their colors-deep reds, sunny yellows, and soft pinks-each petal delicate and inviting. I couldn't help but smile, feeling a sense of connection to the community already. The flowers seemed to whisper stories of welcome and warmth, grounding me in this new chapter of my life.

Today marked my first day at Inarizaki High School, and with it came the promise of a fresh start. I had dreamed of this moment-escaping the past, embracing the unknown-but now that it was here, I was engulfed by a mix of excitement and uncertainty. It was a new sensation that stirred a mixed of emotions within me.

As I swung my legs over the side of the bed, I felt the coolness of the hardwood floor against my bare feet. I paused for a moment, letting the chill seep into me, grounding myself before facing the day. My new bedroom was a blend of my personal taste and my mother's influence-soft pastel colors adorned the walls, with warm lighting from a lamp in the corner. My bed was pushed against the wall, draped with simple white linens, and at the head rested a single plushie I had brought from my old home, bringing a sense of comfort to the otherwise unfamiliar space. Across from it, a sleek desk sat near the window, holding my laptop and a few scattered notebooks. A modest bookshelf lined with comics waiting to be read and sketchbooks completed the space, giving it just enough personality to make it feel like mine.