Chapter 15: Weights of Ambition

The sun rose with a bright intensity the next morning, casting golden rays across Ji-hoon's room. He stretched in bed, feeling the familiar aches in his muscles, remnants of yesterday's intense training. He had hoped that today might be less grueling, but deep down, he sensed that Lucien had different plans.

When he arrived at the studio, he was greeted by an unexpected sight. Weight bands and resistance bands lay scattered across the floor, a foreboding presence that made his heart sink. Ji-hoon's breath quickened as Lucien walked in, his expression stoic and determined.

"Today, we will focus on strength and endurance," Lucien announced, his voice commanding. "You will wear these weight bands while practicing your dance routines. This will build your muscle memory and enhance your performance. Resistance is key."

Ji-hoon swallowed hard, glancing at the bands with trepidation. "But what about my technique? I thought we were working on artistry?"

Lucien crossed his arms, his gaze unwavering. "Artistry comes after you've built a solid foundation. If you can't execute the moves with strength, you will struggle to express yourself fully. Now, put them on."

Reluctantly, Ji-hoon strapped the weight bands around his ankles and wrists, the additional weight feeling foreign and heavy. "Are we really doing this?" he asked, trying to mask his apprehension.

"Every great dancer has endured physical challenges. You're no exception. Let's begin," Lucien replied, moving to the center of the studio.

As the music filled the room, Ji-hoon felt the resistance of the bands weighing him down. Each step felt more laborious than the last, but he pushed himself to keep up with the rhythm. Lucien's critical gaze bore down on him as he focused on maintaining his form, even as fatigue began to set in.

"Lift your knees higher!" Lucien barked, pacing around Ji-hoon. "Your form is slipping!"

"I'm trying!" Ji-hoon grunted, struggling to maintain his footing. The weight bands felt like they were dragging him down, a constant reminder of the added pressure.

"Trying is not enough. You must push beyond your limits!" Lucien shouted, his voice echoing in the studio. "Let the resistance make you stronger. Embrace the challenge!"

Ji-hoon gritted his teeth, forcing himself to push through the exhaustion. The music pulsed around him, but the weight of the bands seemed to slow his movements. With every leap and turn, he felt the strain in his muscles, the relentless demand of Lucien's training pushing him to the edge.

"Now, add the resistance bands," Lucien instructed, handing Ji-hoon a set. "You will practice your Dégagé while maintaining tension."

As Ji-hoon secured the bands to his feet, the added resistance made the movements even more challenging. Each Dégagé felt like an uphill battle, the bands forcing him to exert more energy just to achieve the basic technique.

"Focus on your control!" Lucien urged, his tone stern. "You must maintain your elegance despite the weight. Dance is not just about power; it's about grace."

"I know!" Ji-hoon snapped, frustration bubbling to the surface. "But it's so hard!"

"Hard is not an excuse!" Lucien retorted sharply. "If you want to excel, you must learn to overcome these challenges. Stop complaining and show me what you're made of!"

With a surge of determination, Ji-hoon pushed through the fatigue and began to dance again. He focused on the rhythm, channeling his energy into each movement despite the added strain. The weight bands pulled at him, but he refused to let them dictate his performance.

"Good! Now give me a Saut de Chat!" Lucien commanded, and Ji-hoon complied, leaping into the air with all the strength he could muster.

As he soared, the bands tugged at him, but this time, he felt the exhilaration of flight amidst the struggle. He landed with a shaky grace, the impact resonating through his legs.

"Better," Lucien conceded, though his expression remained stoic. "But you still lack the finesse. Again!"

Time blurred as they continued to practice, Ji-hoon pushing himself to the brink. His legs felt like lead, each movement becoming increasingly difficult as the weight bands began to chafe against his skin. The hours dragged on, each minute stretching into what felt like an eternity.

Finally, after what seemed like endless repetitions, Lucien clapped his hands together. "That's enough for today," he declared, his voice filled with a mix of satisfaction and authority. "You've shown improvement, but there's still much to be done."

Ji-hoon slumped against the wall, gasping for breath, his body trembling from exhaustion. "Can't we take a break?" he wheezed, wiping the sweat from his brow.

"Rest is earned, not given," Lucien replied coldly. "You can rest when you've reached your potential. Tomorrow, we will build on today's progress."

Ji-hoon nodded, the weight of Lucien's expectations pressing heavily on him. As he slowly removed the weight bands, he couldn't shake the feeling that he was trapped in a cycle of endless training, where each day brought new challenges but little respite.

That evening, as he sat in his room, Ji-hoon couldn't help but feel a pang of envy for the carefree dancers he had once watched from afar. They moved with an ease he longed for, their expressions filled with joy and freedom, unburdened by the weight of expectations.

Was this what it meant to be a D'Arcy? To sacrifice one's happiness for the sake of perfection? The thought gnawed at him, and he found himself wondering if he would ever find joy in dance again.

After a restless night, Ji-hoon resolved to confront his fears head-on. He couldn't allow Lucien's relentless pursuit of excellence to extinguish his passion for dance. Tomorrow, he would find a way to blend his own artistry with the demanding techniques Lucien insisted upon.

As he closed his eyes, Ji-hoon felt a flicker of hope igniting within him—a promise that he would reclaim his love for dance, no matter the challenges that lay ahead.