Chapter 31: The Penthouse Sanctuary

As the sleek black car pulled up to the towering penthouse, Etienne gazed in awe at the modern architecture that glimmered against the Seoul skyline. This was more than just a home; it was a testament to Lucien's ambition and dedication to crafting a perfect environment for his training. The glass facade reflected the sun's golden rays, casting a warm glow that seemed to beckon him inside.

Stepping into the foyer, Etienne was immediately enveloped by the luxurious atmosphere. High ceilings and minimalist decor created an air of sophistication. Yet, amidst the elegance, it was the training room that caught his eye—a spacious sanctuary designed specifically for him. The hardwood floors gleamed under bright LED lights, and mirrors lined the walls, creating an illusion of infinite space. Ballet barre stations and resistance bands were meticulously arranged, awaiting his arrival.

"Welcome to your new home, Etienne," Lucien announced, his voice resonating with pride. "This training room is where you will hone your skills, pushing the boundaries of what you can achieve."

Etienne felt a swell of gratitude but also a flicker of anxiety. The commitment to training seemed relentless, but he was determined to make the most of this opportunity. "It's incredible, Lucien. Thank you," he replied, stepping further into the room.

Lucien nodded, a knowing smile on his lips. "You will train here after school. We will continue your ballet education alongside your regular classes. You're fortunate to have gained permission to attend high school under your old name—Jihoon Kim. This way, you can experience a semblance of normalcy while still being in the elite world of ballet."

Etienne felt a mix of relief and apprehension wash over him. Jihoon Kim was a name that connected him to his past—a life before ballet, before Lucien. But it also felt like a disguise, a way to navigate a world that expected so much of him. "I appreciate that, Lucien. It feels... comfortable, in a way."

"Good," Lucien replied, his tone shifting to one of authority. "But remember, you're not just Jihoon Kim anymore. You are Etienne D'Arcy, and that carries weight. You must excel in both identities."

The first few days at the high school felt surreal. Etienne navigated the bustling halls, attending classes that varied from mathematics to literature, all while maintaining the persona of Jihoon Kim. The students around him were friendly, curious about the newcomer with the unique background, but he kept them at arm's length, not yet ready to share his story.

After school, he rushed back to the penthouse, eager to immerse himself in the rigorous training that awaited him. Lucien had set up a schedule that included not only ballet but also cross-training, flexibility exercises, and strength conditioning.

"Let's start with the basics," Lucien instructed during their first session in the penthouse. "I want you to go through your warm-ups and then we'll dive into the new techniques I've been developing. This year, I expect you to surpass your previous limits."

Etienne obeyed, feeling the familiar rush of adrenaline as he began to stretch and prepare his body. The combination of the new environment and Lucien's high expectations fueled his determination. As he danced, he could feel the rhythm of his heartbeat matching the tempo of the music playing softly in the background.

Lucien observed closely, occasionally calling out corrections or tips. "Remember to engage your core and maintain your lines. Every movement must convey intent, Etienne. You are not just dancing; you are telling a story."

As weeks turned into months, the training intensified. Lucien was relentless, often training him late into the night after his schoolwork was completed. They would work together via video calls when Lucien traveled, ensuring that distance wouldn't disrupt Etienne's progress. "Focus on the details," Lucien would say, peering through the screen. "Precision is key."

Despite the grueling schedule, Etienne began to thrive. Each practice session brought him closer to his goals, and he found joy in the dance. He learned to blend the influences of his two cultures, finding ways to incorporate Korean elements into his ballet, creating a unique style that felt like an authentic representation of who he was becoming.

Yet, the duality of his life remained challenging. At school, he was Jihoon, the quiet boy with a mysterious background, while at home, he was Etienne, the aspiring ballet prodigy. Balancing the two identities required finesse and a careful navigation of his emotions.

One afternoon, while sitting in the school cafeteria, he overheard a group of students discussing the upcoming school talent show. A flutter of excitement ignited within him. Perhaps this was a chance to showcase the progress he had made in ballet and connect with his classmates in a way that felt meaningful. But would they accept him as Jihoon Kim, the boy who had a second life as Etienne D'Arcy?

As he pondered this, he remembered Lucien's words: "You must own both sides of your identity. Embrace who you are."

That night, after a particularly intense training session, Etienne made a decision. He would perform at the talent show, not just as Jihoon Kim, but as a blend of all the experiences that had shaped him. He would honor both his past and present through his dance, a performance that would tell his unique story.

With newfound determination, he began to prepare for the show. Each movement in the studio became infused with emotion, a reflection of the journey he had traveled. Etienne was no longer just a name or a facade; he was a dancer ready to claim his place in the world.