Chapter 28: The Day of Reckoning

The day of the Prix de Lausanne arrived, and the atmosphere was electric with anticipation. Dancers from around the world gathered, each one vying for a chance to make their mark. Etienne stood backstage, his heart pounding in rhythm with the bass of the music resonating through the hall.

"Breathe, Etienne," he whispered to himself, trying to calm the nerves that threatened to overwhelm him. He glanced at the mirror, taking in his reflection—dressed in his costume, ready to take the stage as Etienne D'Arcy, son of the great Lucien.

As he waited for his turn, he thought of his deal with Lucien. The year in Korea loomed before him like a shimmering mirage, a promise that could transform his life. He envisioned his mother's face when she saw him dance, her pride shining through the distance that had separated them.

When his name was finally called, he stepped onto the stage, the spotlight blinding yet invigorating. The music swelled, and as he began to dance, he poured every emotion into his performance. Each leap and pirouette became an expression of his journey—the pain, the sacrifice, the hope for a brighter future.

As he finished with a breathtaking finale, the applause erupted around him, echoing in his ears like a thunderous wave. Etienne stood there, breathless and exhilarated, knowing that he had given everything he had.

After the performance, as he awaited the results, the weight of anticipation settled over him. Would he win? Would he earn the chance to escape to Korea, to explore a part of himself that had long been buried?

When the head judge finally took to the stage, the room fell silent. "We have witnessed incredible talent today, but only one dancer can be crowned the winner of the Prix de Lausanne. The award goes to... Etienne D'Arcy!"

Joy erupted within him, and as the applause thundered, he felt a rush of relief and excitement. He had done it. The promise of a year in Korea awaited him, an opportunity to reconnect with his roots and rediscover who he truly was.

As he stood on that stage, holding the award aloft, Etienne knew this was just the beginning. The world was opening up before him, and with the promise of a new adventure on the horizon, he felt ready to embrace whatever came next.